Feeling dizzy during workout? what could be the problem?

I saw my trainer today it was my first day back in 2 weeks to the gym. I was doing well. It felt ok I wasn't feeling tired or sick or anything. We were doing weight training work legs, chest and arms. Near the end I had to deadlift squat a number of reps after the first set. Right before I was going to start the next. I started to feel dizzy , the room just started spinning and felt like I was going to pass out so I had to stop but the workout was just about done. Usually I take my asthma pump before the workout but today I forgot. I don't know if that's the problem maybe I wasn't breathing properly?

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    This could be such a huge amount of things. But the one I've seen that is most common is to large a calorie deficit (find out your TDEE, and don't take a huge cut from that).

High heart rates can do this as well, which can be caused by various things. As well as missing something in your diet, or being out of shape.

I use to get dizzy spells allot. Eating more (but under my TDEE) helped allot.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    This could be such a huge amount of things. But the one I've seen that is most common is to large a calorie deficit (find out your TDEE, and don't take a huge cut from that).

High heart rates can do this as well, which can be caused by various things. As well as missing something in your diet, or being out of shape.

I use to get dizzy spells allot. Eating more (but under my TDEE) helped allot.

This . Plenty factors example could be sugar levels , blood pressure , lack of food , being over weight etc etc..
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    yup I had the same issue with total body workouts or while doing P90X if I was too low in sugar/food etc...
    try to check and rule out various factors (I myself bought a small blood pressure monitor for 30$ just to make sure)
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    I sometimes get nauseous when I do certain workouts and my trainer says nausea and dizziness are sometimes due to holding your breath while you are doing a certain workout....keep an eye on that especially since you have asthma I would think that would make a big difference.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    I do think at times I was holding my breath or not breathing as well since I didn't take my asthma pump.
    It was was very weird and it's never happened.
    Or would I maybe have pushed myself to to limit?
    I know when I workout I try and push as hard as I can to get the most out of the workout.
  • mizzcasual
    Am I still okay to do the workout again?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

If it hasn't happened before & you remember your asthma inhaler it may be ok to give it a shot. If it happens again it would be wise to see your doctor......
  • I get dizzy if I don't drink enough water. Make sure you're well-hydrated!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

Are you eating enough? Are you hydrated enough? Do you get enough potassium and other vitamins and minerals in your diet? Were you hyperventilating and not getting enough oxygen?
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Sometimes if I am dehydrated or don't drink enough water I get that way
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Around here, it's sinus pressure season. I'm personally a very serious sinus sufferer. Any sort of bending over with even the tiniest bit of congestion makes me have vertigo and sometimes faint. A lot of times, I don't even realize I have any symptoms until I'm working out and that happens. I have to avoid Yoga completely. And I can't do deadlifts at all when I'm like that. It's a long-shot, but most people don't even think of that angle.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Recently, I've felt dizzy and out of sorts because I was dehydrated.

Squats, though... if you do them hard enough, can make you dizzy, too. But only for a moment, then it's gone. If you're feeling dizzy a lot for long periods I'd say hydrate or review your diet. But I ain't no doctor...
  • Sugar levels is the first thing I thought of but I'm not a doctor. I would talk to your doctor about it.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    It could be you aren't eating enough or drinking enough water, but I'd lean towards breathing issues.

I keep my inhaler on me/as close as possible while I'm working out, just in case something starts feeling weird. Did you tell your trainer about the dizziness?

I'd make sure s/he knows, and ask him or her to watch your breathing while you're lifting, to make sure you aren't holding your breath or anything (I hold my breath without meaning to, and often don't notice until someone points it out). If it were me, I'd try the workout again, but don't try to "push past" the dizziness or anything, if it happens again, take a small break, use your inhaler if you need to, get some water, and call your doctor when you get home.

GL
  • mizzcasual
    Recently, I've felt dizzy and out of sorts because I was dehydrated.

Squats, though... if you do them hard enough, can make you dizzy, too. But only for a moment, then it's gone. If you're feeling dizzy a lot for long periods I'd say hydrate or review your diet. But I ain't no doctor...

It actually happened just after the deadlift squat suprisingly. You could be onto something. I had one last set left.
    It was quite a intense one.
  • mizzcasual
    It could be you aren't eating enough or drinking enough water, but I'd lean towards breathing issues.

I keep my inhaler on me/as close as possible while I'm working out, just in case something starts feeling weird. Did you tell your trainer about the dizziness?

I'd make sure s/he knows, and ask him or her to watch your breathing while you're lifting, to make sure you aren't holding your breath or anything (I hold my breath without meaning to, and often don't notice until someone points it out). If it were me, I'd try the workout again, but don't try to "push past" the dizziness or anything, if it happens again, take a small break, use your inhaler if you need to, get some water, and call your doctor when you get home.

GL

Yeah I was about to go onto the next set the deadlift squat then I told him I was feeling dizzy did sit for a minute but the room was still spinning so decided to end it. I seem to perform better the less I've eaten. If I've eaten something I find the workout harder or it makes me feel sick. I did drink water before and during the workout.
    It could've been my breathing I know I sometimes forget to breathe and hold my breath for a while.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member

GL

This ^^

I am asthmatic too. My respiratory therapist has told me told me to use my inhaler before my workout, and I always do. My first session with a new trainer, he pushed me too hard, and I started getting short of breath (twice). Luckily all I had to do was breathe slowly to get things under control. Ever since then, he is very good at asking me if I am OK and is my breathing OK. I don't keep my inhaler on me, but he knows where my bag is if I need it.

Make sure you are eating enough pre workout. I tried only eating about 100 calories then going and burning 300+ calories, and I got super dizzy too. I started eating closer to 250 calories before my morning workout and it never happened again.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    water
  • mizzcasual
    I drank a water during it I thought maybe me drinking water caused it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I drank a water during it I thought maybe me drinking water caused it.

I doubt it. I usually drink a quart or more during every workout. My trainer will sometimes suggest I stop for a water break before I think about it.