Food before exercise?

Options
OK I get home from work about 5:30pm, have about 40mins before heading out to a gym class. Quite often famished so grab an apple before heading out. Good practice\ bad practice? Should I eat more before hand?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,522 Member
    Options
    are you able to do your workout in this state or do you need more energy to do it properly?
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If it’s a regular workout then that’d be fine. You have a good 90mins of energy in your muscles, I only worry about fuelling if my planned workout is more than that.
    I tend to find it’s getting the recovery right that makes the biggest difference.
  • stephenprust
    stephenprust Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    are you able to do your workout in this state or do you need more energy to do it properly?

Normally OK, but sometimes totally wiped out. Guess it depends on the day at work.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Normally OK, but sometimes totally wiped out. Guess it depends on the day at work.

Also depends on how aggressive a weight loss goal you have selected....

"Good practice\ bad practice?" Optional and personal.
    "Should I eat more before hand?" You don't need to fuel short duration exercise from food just eaten so the should comes down to how you feel and if it helps or hinders your exercise.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    As long as you are within your calorie budget for the day this is fine. I often eat before a workout as well and it doesn't impact my results.