What do you eat before an early morning workout?

Options
I workout at 545am and I am having trouble finding something to eat to give me energy before the workout that doesn't weigh me down or make me feel sick during the workout.

Any suggestions????

Replies

• xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Banana And peanut butter? Or just a banana or spoonful of peanut butter? I don't really workout early apart from weekends and don't normally eat beforehand but I've tried what I've suggested before and it is just enough :)
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A simple protein shake and a banana or orange are what i eat when i dont have time for breakfast. And some coffee (i throw the protein in my coffee sometimes)
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Are you saying if you work out before eating that you don't have energy, just curious? And yes a simple protein shake isn't a bad idea. 1/2 banana, a few strawberries, almond milk, 1/2 of full scoop of protein shake.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I run at 4:45 am and run fasted. I usually eat a protein bar or something around 8:30 am.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    always fasted so just some kind of caffine to get me going at 04:30 .... 1st time I eat is 13:00 for lunch
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Frozen waffle with PB
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If exercise in the morning, I eat after I can't eat that early I rarely eat an actually breakfast
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Frozen waffle with PB

Best breakfast ever.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt or cottage cheese and a fruit cup, and I take a 100-150 cal something for directly after.
  • StarryEyed0
    StarryEyed0 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I always have oats for breakfast only a small bowl though so its not too heavy
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love Belvita breakfast bars. They're 230 calories each. They're easy to eat driving in the morning to the gym, and give me enough calories to last through a 2 hour workout.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    I normally don't eat before a morning workout (because it'd make me vom) but I would probably have my powdered greens in some OJ about half hour before, so as to not workout on a totally empty stomach.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Coffee.

Do you really "need" the energy? Unless you are running a huge deficit you should have enough from the day before.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I workout at 545am and I am having trouble finding something to eat to give me energy before the workout that doesn't weigh me down or make me feel sick during the workout.

Any suggestions????

1/2 a protein&fiber-added food bar on my way out the door (usually Clif or Special-K).
    (Also a caffeine pill earlier on just before getting out of bed)

ETA: above for weight training. I run in the evening. If I don't have time ~30 minutes before the run for dinner, than I stick to fruit snacks right before the run (anything more complex would be too much for me right before cardio).
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "I don't eat until after the gym" camp. If I get up really early for other reasons (ie, to leave for the beach before traffic) I don't eat then, either. I am not just not hungry in the early morning.
    I do cardio and lift 3-4x/week on an empty stomach (start time 0530-0700, depending), and it works for me. I can't imagine eating before working out, and I'm often still not hungry for several hours afterwards...I wait for my body to wake up and get hungry to eat. This morning was spin at 0530, and I think I would have been sick if I'd forced down food before that class.
    If you're not hungry that early, don't force yourself to eat just because you've heard you have to. What works for you is what's most important.
  • ScottMermer
    ScottMermer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My schedule dictates that I get up at 3:00am in order to get a work out in ... I do not eat anything before and have a protein shake as soon as I'm done. I have found that eating right before my workout makes me continually "taste" whatever I ate.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Coffee, I eat something after....
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I actually eat breakfast about 1-2 hrs before I swim. And I bring a protein bar for after my workout if I need it. As a type 2 diabetic I have foods to eat should I get symptoms of low blood sugar. My favs gym bag food provisions are pure protein bars and welches fruit gummies (in case my blood sugar has really dropped).

Other favs for snacks that I may bring are string cheese, and apples, nuts; but they are more perishable and I don't put perishables in my gym bag.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    People differ. Me, I can't do fasted workouts of any length/intensity. It makes the workout quality s**k.

Before spin class, I eat a Coco Lite Pop Cake (20-calorie tortilla-sized cracker-type thing) with 30g crunchy peanut butter, alongside 3/4C lowfat kefir, 3/4C hot skim milk with vanilla (I need my protein!).

Before on-water rowing, because I've learned I need more carbs for that, I sub an Ezekiel pita for the pop cake.

Experiment a little: You'll find something that works for you. Good luck!