Breastfeeding and trying to losing weight?

Options
Hi y'all!

I am still breastfeeding my toddler and plan to let her self-wean. I am exercising 6-7 days a week and down to 1550 cals/day (I eat back some exercise calories if I'm hungry. 1550 is hard!! Oh, and just to head it off, my supply is well established, so as long as I don't go below 1200 for general health reasons, 1550 is a fine calorie limit, per my lactation consultant).

Anyway - I'm really looking for experiences with trying to lose weight while breastfeeding. I mean really watching what you're eating and being very active. Most women I've talked to said they can't lose weight while they're still nursing their babies.
I do realize it's an uphill battle with the extra estrogen raging - but surely it's possible, right? I could be looking at continuing to breastfeed for a loooooooong time and I am desperate to get healthy and back to my pre-baby weight.

Thanks! I look forward to reading your experiences and insights! :)

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea it's definitely possible... but for some women it can be difficult or it can compromise their supply so they wait until they wean. Since you are breastfeeding a toddler, the amount of calories typically decreases (I say typically because in some cases toddlers can drink a lot of milk!)

If you want to continue to nurse long term, keep an eye on your supply, your energy levels, log your food on here (use a scale for most accuracy). I have lost weight many times while nursing but my body would rather take fat and muscle away before it touches my supply.. haha. Everyone is different and you will just have to experiment to see what works for you. Good luck!

• ElisetheQ
    ElisetheQ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I've been doing a lot of weight training and upping my protein intake to try to prevent losing my muscle mass. I know my supply will be put first before anything else. Haha!