IBS "symptoms"

Options
2»

Replies

• yatesy74
    yatesy74 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Christine, I am having GI issues myself, I have come to the conclusion that I can't eat anything processed unless I can read the list of ingredients, understand what they are, and "Oh btw" they aren't manufactured in a plant where they make other products that may have other foods that will cross-contaminate the food I am eating. IBS/food sensitivities are a pain to figure out. The only way to know if that particular protein bar was the actual issue would be to eat them again and see what happens (true food trial), but who wants to do that? Good luck!
  • c16423522
    c16423522 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've had ibs too which I have finally gotten under controle *touches wood* ... I went to see a dietition who recommended a fodmap diet, where you give up and reintroduce food groups to figure out what sets you off. I learned onions are my enemy.. one food group was fructans which is is sorta in the title ~ you should research into this. Also I done a hair strand test food intolerance testing in a chinese medical shop, it displayed a couple of interesting things for me I wouldn't have considered... probiotics ~ udos super 8 from the health store and also little Lcasei drinks (yakult,danone probiotic yoghurt drinks) .... hope you figure out your stomach!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yatesy74 wrote: »
    Hi Christine, I am having GI issues myself, I have come to the conclusion that I can't eat anything processed unless I can read the list of ingredients, understand what they are, and "Oh btw" they aren't manufactured in a plant where they make other products that may have other foods that will cross-contaminate the food I am eating. IBS/food sensitivities are a pain to figure out. The only way to know if that particular protein bar was the actual issue would be to eat them again and see what happens (true food trial), but who wants to do that? Good luck!

Haha you couldnt pay me enough money to take even a bite of those protein bars again! My guess is they completely destroyed my gut flora, which took many months to get back to normal.

I couldn't find anything on Google, other than my symptoms usually happen to elderly people in nursing homes :worried: My Gastroenterologist booked me in for an "urgent' colonoscopy thinking there was was something abnormal happening in there, but that was all clear. So i was left to figure out the culprit on my own!

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why i reacted so severely AND for so long afterward, and was hoping i wasn't the only one. Even though i'm back to normal now, i would still like to know what exactly it was that i had. But i think it will forever remain a mystery..
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Haha you couldnt pay me enough money to take even a bite of those protein bars again! My guess is they completely destroyed my gut flora, which took many months to get back to normal.

I couldn't find anything on Google, other than my symptoms usually happen to elderly people in nursing homes :worried: My Gastroenterologist booked me in for an "urgent' colonoscopy thinking there was was something abnormal happening in there, but that was all clear. So i was left to figure out the culprit on my own!

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why i reacted so severely AND for so long afterward, and was hoping i wasn't the only one. Even though i'm back to normal now, i would still like to know what exactly it was that i had. But i think it will forever remain a mystery..

Your post encouraged me to order some pre- and probiotics on Amazon, hoping they'll get me on the road to recovery.

I've also googled incessantly since this happened to me with very few similar accounts! Super frustrating for sure.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

Your post encouraged me to order some pre- and probiotics on Amazon, hoping they'll get me on the road to recovery.

I've also googled incessantly since this happened to me with very few similar accounts! Super frustrating for sure.

I noticed a big difference after also taking digestive enzymes before my meals, when i started taking those along with the probiotics is when things started getting back to normal, not overnight but slowly slowly.

I'm in Australia, so you won't have the same brands where you are. But here's the one i used, with pretty standard digestive enzyme ingredients.

http://www.bioglan.com.au/products/vitamins/digest-eze-40s/
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

I noticed a big difference after also taking digestive enzymes before my meals, when i started taking those along with the probiotics is when things started getting back to normal, not overnight but slowly slowly.

I'm in Australia, so you won't have the same brands where you are. But here's the one i used, with pretty standard digestive enzyme ingredients.

http://www.bioglan.com.au/products/vitamins/digest-eze-40s/

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely try to find a Canadian equivalent. :D
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    https://www.monashfodmap.com/about-fodmap-and-ibs/

basically your protein bars had them and they're a big cause of IBS symptoms