Counting calories and breastfeeding

Options
Does anyone know if there is a spot on here to add in breast feeding to my profile to account for extra calories I might need? My son is 4 months old and is exclusively breast fed, not yet adding in cereal or food. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• ThatMummyof2
    ThatMummyof2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here, my son is 4 months old and by weight etc it says I should be eating 1200 kcal a day, is this right? I’m sure someone will be along to help soon
  • kb1927
    kb1927 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Look it up as a food! Lots of options there :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The second half of this post is very comprehensive:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

But please... no nursing mother should be on 1200 calories.

As far as logging goes, you could either set a custom calorie allowance or use one of the breastfeeding entries in the food log that gives you a negative calorie adjustment.
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Same here, my son is 4 months old and by weight etc it says I should be eating 1200 kcal a day, is this right? I’m sure someone will be along to help soon

Total? No way!

You likely need more than double that.
  • katlyngronwoldt85
    katlyngronwoldt85 Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You should not be eating that little and according to most Dr. should only be aiming for no more than losing 1lb a week. Make healthy choices, lots of protein, water, fruits, veggies and whole grains. Under food in your diary you can pull up breastfeeding from the data base. It adds 500 extra calories. Ive lost 8 lbs. so far following this for the last 3 weeks. My son is 9 months old and I'm still breast feeding too :) Good luck, any questions feel free to ask or add me!
  • Kristen0526
    Kristen0526 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies! Mine said I should be around 1550 a day and even that seemed really low, so I’m glad I am not the only one who thought that. Good luck to all of the other mamas also doing this, we got this!