Creatine

Options
Thoughts on creatine as a weight loss inhibitor?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It isn’t. It is a work out supplement for increasing your muscular ATP levels. The energy source used by contractile tissue to contract. Sure the extra couple of calories burned by doing an extra couple reps in your workout might help you for weight loss in like a 2 year period, but nothing short term. It may actually cause a weight increase.
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    As a weight loss inhibitor?
    It’s not one.

Creatine will cause a slight gain in water weight due to intramuscular water retention (a good thing) but it won’t slow or hinder fat loss in a caloric deficit.

Definitely this here. It is great for weight training.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Weight loss inhibitor, I don’t know. But I’ve been told that if I want to start supplementing with creatine then I should drink LOTS of water because creatine is hard on the kidneys. So in other words I have to destroy my internal organs in order to look more muscular on the outside?? No thanks. I’m gonna let these other meatheads at the gym keep their creatine, I’ll stay natural.

So much misinformation to overcome. It's not a steroid and it's not hard on the kidneys but does increase creatinine levels in the blood which is used as a maker for kidney disease. It does not, however, cause kidney disease.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Weight loss inhibitor, I don’t know. But I’ve been told that if I want to start supplementing with creatine then I should drink LOTS of water because creatine is hard on the kidneys. So in other words I have to destroy my internal organs in order to look more muscular on the outside?? No thanks. I’m gonna let these other meatheads at the gym keep their creatine, I’ll stay natural.

That's painting with a pretty broad brush. And an inaccurate one. Creatine is one of the most studied supplements out there. And is safe.

OP, feel free to add it to your regimen, or do some additional research. But you're good to go. ETA: but not for weight loss, does nothing for that, good luck man

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3407788/
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    @ notreallychris

Yes, it’s one of the most studied but I still have my doubts. There’s a YouTube video (I’ll try to post a link if I find it) of a young guy who had blood work done before consuming creatine and then some time after being on creatine. The blood work after he was on creatine for some time showed that his kidneys weren’t as healthy as before. That confirmed my suspicions that creatine can screw with one’s kidneys. But hey - people gonna do what they’re gonna do to look big and get that model like physique. I personally would rather it take me 3, 4 years or however long to get my physique to look good naturally,rather than take all sorts of pills and powders just so I can look good in 1 or 2 years.

Would really like that link. Does the link also provide in the video or a link to details about his overall diet and possible other medical conditions (or statements that ruled out any thing else)? Was the amount of creatine monitored? (meaning did he use as directed or did he overuse the product) Does it show the actual blood work as well as go into the details of the tests done to prove just how much of a deterioration did occur and that it was solely due to creatine usage?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Whoa. I am not a meathead and I use 5g per day. I am female and I do not experience any water retention or stomach cramps from it. I use a flavoured one and mix it with my isotonic tablet and drink it during my workout. It also helps me sleep better (not everyone experiences all the positive/negative effects)...it helps me with pump and recovery...that is why I use it. It is not a steroid and as far as I am aware is okay for any athletes to use...re-testing and such...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @wheelhouse15

People are gonna do what they’re gonna do. If you’re happy gulping down pills and powders then that’s you’re prerogative. If I am ignorant then let me be in my state of bliss and stick with food and drink.

@ carlos_421

You know what I mean. Cornbread is made by mixed natural food ingredients and baking it. Creatine sold to you at supplement shops is probably synthesized in a lab by people in lab coats. Not my idea of natty, but those are just my own personal standards.

You can be whatever way you choose but you don't get to judge others. Otherwise, I really have no issues. I have no problem discussing differences in opinions but I dislike judgemental attitudes.
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So . . . in the interest of not creating a new thread on creatine, this does make me curious:

- As a fairly active female, lifting and running 3x week (with some lighter endurance/circuit-based 'recovery' activities 2x/week), if my goal is to get stronger - is creatine something I should look into? What are potential down-sides to taking it?