No DOMS -- lazy or lucky?

Options
Mid-40s woman lifting for strength, I lift an hour three times a week. I lift what I think is heavy, with low reps. I've gotten all my newbgainz out of the way so I know progress will come slow and I'm OK with that. But I don't get DOMS anymore and I'm wondering if I should be lifting even heavier. I got home an hour ago from today's work and my hamstrings and abs are still shaky, but there won't be any DOMS later or in the morning. Thoughts?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I say lucky, because I don't get DOMS either
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I never really had any DOMs when I did Stronglifts 5x5. I usually only have them the first couple weeks back into a workout routine or when switching routines.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i rarely get doms unless a miss a couple weeks.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I admit I miss it a little bit -- it made me feel productive. But now I'll revel in that fatigue, I guess!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    They're always much more noticeable at first, and then become less so as your muscles become used to doing more work. So no, it's not laziness.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I only get DOMS after a break, or with a new move.
    The shakes, nearly every time. Glad (only in the sense that I'm not the only one) someone else, and younger than me gets them- I thought it was my age.

Some days I have to sit in the car for 5 min just so I can consistently work the clutch, and I bought straws so I can drink without spilling water all down me.

Cheers, h.

I drive an automatic and still often have to sit in the car a few minutes before I can drive.

Thank you for that.
    I have never thought to ask the question about the shakes as I thought it was due to my age and no one else got them.

Cheers, h.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I only get DOMS after a break, or with a new move.
    The shakes, nearly every time. Glad (only in the sense that I'm not the only one) someone else, and younger than me gets them- I thought it was my age.

Some days I have to sit in the car for 5 min just so I can consistently work the clutch, and I bought straws so I can drink without spilling water all down me.

Cheers, h.

Yup, I only get it if I do a lift I'm not used to.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I typically only get DOMS when I start a new cycle (each month), and it's usually something heavy hamstring related or a new exercise variation. I don't mind feeling a little bit the next day, as long as it doesn't affect the rest of my week. I hate when they are really bad because then I have to skip a leg workout the next day or day after (which happened to me this week) so I feel like it sets me back sometimes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    DOMS or soreness doesn't equate a good lifting session, only progress does that.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Supposedly studies have shown there's no connection between DOMS and effectiveness. Consider yourself lucky, I get DOMS every time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    DOMS is an indicator that you did something different, not necessarily that you did something “better”.