Non Scale Goals

Options
Does anyone have non scale goals? I mean I have a weight goal on MFP, but it's really just to make sure I'm not eating to many calories. My real goal is pant size, waist size, and body fat%. I figure the scale number doesn't matter since body composition can mean that 130 looks healthy on someone with low body fat, but pretty chubby on someone with high body fat. I want to look good and be healthy, not have the scale say a number I like to see! Does anyone else do the same?

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - I care far less about the numbers on the scale than I do about building strength, and fitting in to my clothes better. I'd be happy to remain the weight I am if it meant that I had a lot more muscle, and was fitting in to a size (or two) smaller.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Goal jeans. And dress :D
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    10K in an hour and a 1/2 marathon without dying.

There was a guy the day I did my first 5k, who did the 10k race in 40 minutes. I was dumbfounded.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    to run 10k
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Get my period back to normal.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

There was a guy the day I did my first 5k, who did the 10k race in 40 minutes. I was dumbfounded.

There's one guy who does our parkrun (5K) in ~17 minutes. I'm happy being under 30.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Yes I have some fitness goals. I want to run a 5k at some point. My friend is a runner who actually has to have some hip surgery. and I promised her that when she was ready to run her first post-surgery 5k I would run my first 5k with her. I will be ready but I don't know when that will be that will be up to her.

I am going to ride my bike in the TD Bank Five Boro Bike Ride this year in New York City. That's a 40-mile bike ride. I have ridden well over 20 miles on my bike while being at this current wait but I am going to be at least 25 lb lighter when we do this in May. I want to do it and thoroughly enjoy it and not feel like I'm dying the whole time LOL

I also have schools for the weight machines at the gym. I know serious weight lifters do not count the machines as anything but they are a starting point for me. I am hoping to get from 20 lb to 50 lb on the shoulder press. Currently I am doing a hundred and thirty pounds on the leg press very easily I'm bumping it up to 1:50. I am hoping that by the end of the year I can do 250 on the leg press.

Then at some point I am going to hire personal trainer to teach me weight lifting. I don't want to become a bodybuilder at all and do competitions like some people I know... LOL. I just want to make my body the best looking body I can.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've been signed up to do a triathalon in May (never even done a 5k and the running part of the tri is 6.3k) so I'd like to be able to do that and get out in one piece >_<

Also I'd love another couple of inches off my waist line, I've always stored my weight on my stomach so losing inches there is my main vanity goal, I couldn't care less if the scale stayed the same or even increased as long as the inches go down. :)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Of course! I don't much care about the scale number and more about getting back into the clothes in the skinny side of my closet, run at least 3 10k races in 2018 and sign up for a half marathon after the 10k's. And the most important - feel confident naked. :D
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don’t have a scale goal it’s just what I currently use to track progress but I want to be a size 8 -10 in pants, not have my thighs rub together so much in the summer that I can’t wear skirts cause of heat rash, I want to be able to life heavier weights and see the different muscles in my arms
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I wan to squat 300, deadlift 400, and bench 135. I'm really not close lol.

• gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get my borderline high blood pressure down to normal, to increase my run speed and to get a resting heart rate in the mid 50’s.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

There's one guy who does our parkrun (5K) in ~17 minutes. I'm happy being under 30.

That's *kitten* crazy.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There’s a great thread in the success forums on NSVs that I read through for encouragement sometimes. I definitely think it’s worth checking out.

ETA: It was right at the top! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv/p1038
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    NSVs:
    1.Lower bad cholesterol and triglycerides.
    2. Get A1c down so I can get off Metformin.
    3. Go down to lower swimsuit sizes. Then get new suits as a reward for weight loss.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Fit myself into a bikini this summer and feel good doing it.