Weight maintenance and this app.

So, most research I've done indicates that to maintain my weight I need to slowlyincrease my calorie intake leveling off somewhere between 1900 to 2000. However, this app tells me to level out at 1600. Seems odd, incorrect even. That's merely 100 calories more than it recommends to lose the weight.
What am I missing?

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Because the app doesn't include your exercise calories. Unless you are specifically looking at NEAT sites, your calculators/research does.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    The difference between calories and net calories is key.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    edited January 2018
    If you were losing the last 10-15 lbs at the recommended 0.5 lb per week, that's only 250 calories difference between losing and maintaining.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    That still seems low. Have you double-checked your settings for height, current weight, activity level, and maintenance goal?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    What are your stats?
    As 2500 gross is often stated for a mythical average male to maintain 1900 to 2000 seems low and 1600 + exercise calories seems awfully low.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Did you double check all of your inputs and stats? That's super low for a male. Without exercise I'll maintain on 2400-2500...with regular exercise it can be 2800-3000+
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    Check out Kevin Hall's body weight tracker on the NIH website. Put in weight pre weight loss and work backwards. It will give you maintenance calories for new weight. It's amazingly accurate. It also takes into account metabolic slow down and muscle adaptation. Also, remember diet composition will effect it slightly. Best of luck!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    I maintain on 1800-2000 and I'm a 5'2" female.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Yeah MFP tells me that being lightly active my maintenance is 1620... for me its actually 1950-2000 - I'm 5ft 2 /female.
    You'll know by how much you were losing a week, if it was 1/2lb a week then you can bump your cals by 250 a day e.g.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    So, if you tell MFP you want to lose weight, it gives you 1500 cals per day... 1600 cals per day if you want to maintain? That does seem odd/low. Even taking net vs gross cals into consideration, that seems low.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    MFP tells me I maintain at 1500, but I actually maintain at 2200-2300, net calories.

Like everyone says, re-check your inputs.

You can manually set your calories anywhere you want. If you know how many calories you want to use, do that. If you don't, run the experiment by keeping good records for a month or two and adjust based on your results and your energy levels.