Study on Strength Training and Calories

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
This is not a new study (2013), but I just saw a reference to it last week. I am always on the lookout for strength training metabolic studies as this is a topic in which there is a lot of interest, but a lot of misinformation.

Study: EFFECTS OF LOAD-VOLUME ON EPOC AFTER ACUTE BOUTS OF RESISTANCE TRAINING IN RESISTANCE-TRAINED MEN
GEORGE J. ABBOUD,1 BEAU K. GREER,2 SARA C. CAMPBELL,3 AND LYNN B. PANTON4
Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 27(7)/1936–1941

This study looked at the effect of lifting volume on post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) in trained individuals.
BMR was measured for 24 hrs following training sessions with total loads of 10,000 kg and 20,000 kg respectively. Intensity was 85% of 1 RM.

In contrast to other studies of this type, researchers found no increase in EPOC following either workout. The authors attributed this finding to the fact that the subjects were more highly trained than subjects in other studies. There does appear to be an attenuation of the “afterburn” effect in resistance training as one becomes more experienced.

More than the effects on EPOC (which I have seen enough studies to know it’s not that big a deal), I like to look at the data from these studies to provide more insight into calorie burn during resistance training. Since it’s hard to do large studies on this topic, I like to collect as many data points as possible.

This one fell pretty neatly in line with what I have seen before. The 10,000 kg workout took 43 minutes, the 20,000 kg workout took 90. Calorie burn for both workouts was around 330 kcals/hour. Given the volumes and intensities, I think these are some pretty reliable numbers. The average oxygen uptake (VO2) was around 3.5 METs. That is the equivalent of a walking speed of 3.0-3.5 mph. This is also consistent with other data I have seen before. (While they didn’t record heart rate, it is not uncommon to see heart rates at 60-80% of max during lifting at this intensity—again, shows that heart rate is not a reliable indicator of an aerobic training effect during weight lifting).

There are those who say that you need to do cardio to lose weight, and those who claim that “you don’t need cardio” and can lose weight with lifting alone.

Both positions are reinforced by this data. For someone doing a basic lifting routine of 30-45 min, the total calorie burn is likely only going to be 160-260 gross calories, which is not a lot.

A “lifter only” is likely to do longer workouts and to burn 400-450 per workout— is consistent with ACSM recommendations and equivalent to the calorie burns for typical (albeit shorter) cardio workouts.

(Obviously, calorie restriction is still the most important factor).

Hopefully, this gives some insight you can use when planning your workout routine.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thank you - interesting.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Great info. Thanks Azdak.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I allocate only 120 cals/hr for lifting and BW exercise, including rest bet sets but not bet different lifts or exercises.

On the other hand, based on the performance monitor on my C2 rower, I burn about 550-560 cals in 46-50 min of moderate intensity rowing 10k meters at a rate of about 675-750 cals/hr.

Haven't had any problems controlling my wt eating back all or part of these estimated cals burned lifting or doing cardio.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it's good to see you are still active in looking through the research.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it's good to see you are still active in looking through the research.

Thank you. I’m a working stiff and not a research librarian, but it is part of the job if you want to consider yourself a professional. No matter how many years you do this, you have to make it a point to learn new things all the time.