Healthier chip swap????

Options
So I’ve already lost around 14 pounds. I’m not completely cutting anything out of my diet just trying to limit unhealthy food and eat more fruits & veggies and lean proteins.
My biggest struggle though is while I can have a few small bites of chocolate or ice cream to satisfy my craving I often crave chips!! There my weakness and I can’t just have a few. So what’s a healthier alternative that I can munch on without totally blowing my calories and filling up on chips?

I’ve tried popcorn but I’m not really a fan?
Also I don’t mind the baked chips but I’m not sure how much healthier those really are??

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Have you tried toasted nori?

You could also try making your own chips by cutting thin slices of root veggies and drying them in the microwave. There's a trick to it, but I would have to look it up to remember the details.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Veggie straws and pop chips?
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Could always make some healthy dip and use cucumbers and baby peppers to dip. Might satisfy that need to dip a chip?

https://i.imgur.com/BcFPXGv.jpg
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes - break one up and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning. 70 cals for 2 isn't a calorie bomb.

Or, buy the individual portions of chips. Usually on the grocery end-caps, or somewhere on the chip aisle, there are smaller bags that are priced at 2 for 1$. The bags are usually around 150 cals.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm in no place to give advice, because I'm the exact same way, but I've read here in forums that salt can be beneficial if you're feeling low energy. Also, I find that sometimes a snack with fat (i.e. Buttered toast or a fried egg) can help with satiety, so I don't go chasing that binge.
  • Psalm1139
    Psalm1139 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Veggie Straws give you lots more chips for the calories but still taste like chips. I love them when I'm counting calories. Pretzel sticks also give you a lot per serving (both of them give you around 50, vs. about 11 for most chips). Baked chips are about 20 calories less than regular chips, which adds up if you eat them everyday, but you still only get 11 lol.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I replaced my regular chips with Late July multigrain tortilla chips. Definitely not the same but they are tasty and do the trick!
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes ftw (salt n vinegar)
  • macrologger
    macrologger Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baking kale in the oven? I heard kale chips are great, but I haven't tried them yet.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Quaker Popped? They come in a variety of flavors - I like cheddar cheese. They are mini rice cakes.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I also love me some chips. I enjoy the veggie straws (ranch or jalapeno flavored) as well as individual chip bags and limit myself to just 1 bag. I know these aren't chips, but baked chickpea crackers are rather good and satisfy my salt craving what I usually fulfill with chips.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I like the 100 calorie Pringles singles..keeps me from eating a whole tube.
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    Have you tried the Quaker Popped? They come in a variety of flavors - I like cheddar cheese. They are mini rice cakes.
    This. I also struggle with chips and these are my go-to. They taste really good but I’m not going to binge on a bag of them like I would Lay’s potato chips, and you get 17 for a serving! Salty and crunchy and yum!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I vote for rice cakes. You can get a lot of different flavors, sweet and savoury, or get plain and add your own toppings like PB, hummus, chocolate sauce.
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    https://www.vitamart.ca/quest-protein-chips.html

I really quite enjoy these when I need a chip craving squashed, they are a bit pricier but for a once in a while treat they are okay. Plus you get a ton of protein intake!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts pulled apart into individual leaves, baked and salted cook up pretty crispy for a decent chip alternative
  • Daven1220
    Daven1220 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Proteins Chips (Quest, Protes...etc)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Baked chips are lower in calories, so for your purposes (weight loss) they are healthier. Potatoes are fairly nutritious. Baking them doesn't change that. A bonus if you make your own baked chips with a mandoline and an oven. You would make as much as you want to eat and it would be a hassle to make more so you'll only make them when you really really want them. Plus, most baking sheets don't fit enough slices to take you way over calories. To flavor them you could use popcorn or dip flavorings that come in powdered form.
  • Kasm296
    Kasm296 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone else has already recommended but I bake organic corn tortilla in the oven and use those as tortilla chips with my salsa ....it is amazing!!