Healthier chip swap????

Options
13»

Replies

• futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I like the Crazy Hot PopChips - they're awesome with less fat/cals than regular chips. But if you have a cooking stone and feel like making your own, you can slice any kind of potato or root vegetable very very thin, spritz the stone with olive oil, lay the slices out in a single layer, spritz them with olive oil and a sprinkling of salt or other seasoning and bake the heck out of them (I'm thinking, like 450) checking every minute or so after five to make sure they don't burn. They're awesome plain or with dips or even a little BBQ sauce (though I find most of the BBQ sauces have a crap ton of sugar in them.) Enjoy! :)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Special K Cracker Chips aren't too bad. I like the salt & vinegar flavor.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I really like the Terra brand veggie chips--you still have to make sure to measure them carefully, as they have the same calories as regular chips, but the bag of Sweets and Beets I have at my desk gives you 50% of your vitamin A allowance, and presumably there are other micronutrient benefits that come from sweet potatoes and beets. Another key for me is to dip them in hummus or guacamole, as it provides an additional serving of a vegetable, while the fat helps with satiety. YMMV. Another good dip might be 0% fat Greek yogurt dolled up with lemon juice, green onions and herbs.

But if I want a bag of regular chips, I have them, and just fit them into my calories for the day.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    There's no real substitute for me for good old salt & vinegar chips, but when I'm craving salty/crunchy, I'll make snack-sized popcorn bags with seasoning. Or another old standby is White Cheddar rice cakes with added Buffalo popcorn seasoning.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I really like the Terra brand veggie chips--you still have to make sure to measure them carefully, as they have the same calories as regular chips, but the bag of Sweets and Beets I have at my desk gives you 50% of your vitamin A allowance, and presumably there are other micronutrient benefits that come from sweet potatoes and beets. Another key for me is to dip them in hummus or guacamole, as it provides an additional serving of a vegetable, while the fat helps with satiety. YMMV. Another good dip might be 0% fat Greek yogurt dolled up with lemon juice, green onions and herbs.

But if I want a bag of regular chips, I have them, and just fit them into my calories for the day.

I also love the Terra chips. Portion them out and mix in with a bowl of popcorn. My favorite is the Mediterranean mix.

DEFINITELY the best! I am, regrettably, working my way through grabbed-by-accident unsalted sweets and beets...they're fine, especially as vehicles for guac, but nothing holds a candle to the Mediterranean!