How much weight should you lift to gain muscle?

Options
Obviously the answer will vary from person to person, but if you're looking to build muscle is there a way of knowing roughly how much you should lift (like a % of your weight)? I'm particularly interested in deadlifts and squats here. Is it just as heavy as you can, even if that's not very much? Or do I need to build up enough strength to be able to lift heavier things before I can build?

Replies

• 5x5SL
    5x5SL Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are just starting and you are interested in the compound lifts, look up the 5x5 strongman workout. That will give you a good basis as it calculates off your 1rm to make a 9 week program that's challenging but manageable. If you need any help with it or want some different programs let me know. Always happy to help.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Whatever weight is challenging for you. Look for a program (there's a whole list in the stickies) that appeals to you and fits your level of lifting experience. Make sure you're progressively over loading and keep going.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I agree with the above posters, make sure to hit your compound lifts Squats for quads, Deadlifts for the legs and lower back (I prefer Romanian Deadlift although they will hit more your hamstrings and a little less on other areas vs regular deadlift), BB Bench Press for the chest and OHP for your shoulders. For those compound lifts, I suggest you lift somewhere in the 4-6 rep range. You can then add a few isolation exercises and the rep range can vary between 8 to 12, you choose the rep range that your comftorble at. You can start one like this one if you want ( https://aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ ) I have acheived great results with the aworkoutroutine workout programs, but just remember, there isn't one best workout program out there, there are many good workout programs, you choose one where your body responds well to and make sure your diet is on point. Many people believe workout alone will give you a great body, but that's false, diet is equally or actually even more important than the lifting. Don't be a type of woman who cuts forever either, I see too many women who are on an eternal cutting, you won't build your muscles to it's potential. You can't be affraid of lean bulking.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the above posters. I found this article helpful in explaining it all
    https://bretcontreras.com/training-for-maximum-muscle-growth-explained/

I will add, my deadlift and squat are pretty poor considering how long I've been lifting. It has not hindered my ability to gain muscle in my lower body at all.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you are new to lifting, there is no reason to start with anything other than an empty bar to learn proper form.

I started squats and bench with the bar (45lbs) and started with 65lbs for dls (bar + two 10lbs bumper plates).

If you are new to lifting, you can likely build some muscle while in a calorie deficit (newb gains).

I built appreciable strength in a deficit then in maintenance. I didn't really put on appreciable mass until I started to eat at a surplus. I started at 100 calories and added or reduced as necessary.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    Obviously the answer will vary from person to person, but if you're looking to build muscle is there a way of knowing roughly how much you should lift (like a % of your weight)? I'm particularly interested in deadlifts and squats here. Is it just as heavy as you can, even if that's not very much? Or do I need to build up enough strength to be able to lift heavier things before I can build?

Start where you are with a good quality program as recommended above.

You'll know that you've really arrived when you get to around 2x BW for Squat/DL and BW+ on Bench press.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I also agree with the above posters. I found this article helpful in explaining it all
    https://bretcontreras.com/training-for-maximum-muscle-growth-explained/

I will add, my deadlift and squat are pretty poor considering how long I've been lifting. It has not hindered my ability to gain muscle in my lower body at all.

This is a great article. Thanks. I really should add some higher volume stuff onto my big lifts.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Muscle hypertrophy is more of a factor related to total volume than it is pure intensity / weight-lifted. There's already some references in this thread for you to read, Dr. Brad Schoenfeld is another that I would suggest looking at.
  • Eaturmeat
    Eaturmeat Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I follow my own take on German volume training. You find your one rep max for that body part and take a percentage of it to rep out ten sets of ten. You never want to make your last rep on your last set our you are too light. I also switch it up a little after a few weeks I will lift 5 sets of 5 with heavier weights to increase strength too. For me volume training has been he beat way to get mass
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Don't know how it would work for women but for men there are some arbitary lifting objectives that are commonly accepted as evidence of "basic" strength.

Generally these are being able to do a 1RM:

DL 2x BW
    SQT 1.75X BW
    BP 1.25x BW
    OHP . 75x BW

These would be considered MINIMUMS and most men would strive to lift more.

If you are a woman and can lift this much, I think that you can assume that you also gained some muscle in the process.

How much can only be estimated by the measurement of LBM and BF by DXA, hydro or sone other method of BF measurement.

Just realIze that muscle only comprises a part of LBM (estimated at 42% for men and 35% for women) and there is no exact way to measure muscle apart from an autopsy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Don't know how it would work for women but for men there are some arbitary lifting objectives that are commonly accepted as evidence of "basic" strength.

DL 2x BW
    SQT 1.75X BW
    BP 1.25x BW
    OHP . 75x BW

If you are a woman and can lift this much, I think that you can assume that you also gained some muscle in the process.

How much can only be estimated by the measurement of LBM and BF by DXA, hydro or sone other method of BF measurement.

Just realIze that muscle only comprises a part of LBM (estimated at 42% for men and 35% for women) and there is no exact way to measure muscle apart from an autopsy.

Those numbers(for an average man) will also get him within blinking range of the "1000 pound club" Which is another generally accepted lifting goal.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

DL 2x BW
    SQT 1.75X BW
    BP 1.25x BW
    OHP . 75x BW

Yea I believe the numbers are different for women. There is no way I am coming close to DL'ing 280lbs without years of very focused powerlifting training (which is not my goal at all) and to be honest, I think I have built way more muscle not training for strength only which is consistent with the article I posted.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

DL 2x BW
    SQT 1.75X BW
    BP 1.25x BW
    OHP . 75x BW

Yea I believe the numbers are different for women. There is no way I am coming close to DL'ing 280lbs without years of very focused powerlifting training (which is not my goal at all) and to be honest, I think I have built way more muscle not training for strength only which is consistent with the article I posted.

The numbers listed are not really minimums but rather someone's opinion by the looks of it. Here are the actual strength standards based on experience for both men and women based on lifting experience.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

DL 2x BW
    SQT 1.75X BW
    BP 1.25x BW
    OHP . 75x BW

The numbers listed are not really minimums but rather someone's opinion by the looks of it. Here are the actual strength standards based on experience for both men and women based on lifting experience.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

If we're talking about relative strength (rather than how much "should" one lift to gain muscle"), I think that the Strength Level website and the Killustrated charts, which rate strength based on gender, bodyweight and age are better than the exrx charts which only rate strength based on gender and bodyweight.

You can find those sites here:

http://lonkilgore.com/freebies/freebies.html

https://strengthlevel.com
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I like this one, it's age adjustable, that way I don't feel a whimp B)

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/female/lb

I don't even dream of hitting the 1Rm posted above, for any lifts.

Cheers, h.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

DL 2x BW
    SQT 1.75X BW
    BP 1.25x BW
    OHP . 75x BW

When I was lifting on a regular basis, I was super close to a 280 DL in a matter of 6 months...but I'm weird.

ETA: I wasn't quite 140 but 280 was close to 2xbw