Why train 3x week? Is there disadvantages to working out more?

Options
I strength train 3x weekly. Both bodyweight and weighted. As I'm becoming more comfortable with working out I'm not feeling the need for rest days. I only do lower body exercises for approx 30mins or until I cannot physically do any more (less than an hour at a time). I do a minimum 2sets 20reps of exercises (3sets 10reps doesn't work for me, I like to feel the burn from the off or I lose momentum)

I picked up the 3x weekly as it seems to be the "norm". But I'm not getting any soreness the next day which I thought was supposed to happen after a good workout?

How has the 3x training come about? What are the benefits? Can I add more days so I can get that after workout soreness?

I will add that the training is working. I still have to push those last few reps. So I know it's not about adding any more weight. I just want to know I'm pushing myself to my goal as best as I can :)

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Recovery.
    Now that doesn’t mean you cannot go the the gym more...especially if you plan properly.

I space out my big lift days and full In other days with arms or only doing cardio.

I’d say I average a bit over 4x a week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^ correct- if you can't recover adequately- then it's not enough time.

If you can recover- then it's fine.

I personally find 3-4 more than adequate for me. People frequently train 5-6 days a week b/c of the whole body part split- but if you chose to do a more comprehensive approach- then 5-6 days a week isn't necessary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Gainer018 wrote: »
    I strength train 3x weekly. Both bodyweight and weighted. As I'm becoming more comfortable with working out I'm not feeling the need for rest days. I only do lower body exercises for approx 30mins or until I cannot physically do any more (less than an hour at a time). I do a minimum 2sets 20reps of exercises (3sets 10reps doesn't work for me, I like to feel the burn from the off or I lose momentum)

I picked up the 3x weekly as it seems to be the "norm". But I'm not getting any soreness the next day which I thought was supposed to happen after a good workout?

How has the 3x training come about? What are the benefits? Can I add more days so I can get that after workout soreness?

I will add that the training is working. I still have to push those last few reps. So I know it's not about adding any more weight. I just want to know I'm pushing myself to my goal as best as I can :)

3x per week full body training has been around forever...long before splits ever became popular. Full body programs are typically run 3x per week because you're hitting everything during each session and you need the recovery time...it's not really about feelz, it's about allowing the muscles to recover so you can get stronger and grow muscle...if muscle is always torn down, it's not going to heal and grow efficiently.

Splits are typically run 4-5x per week and this can be done because you are splitting up body parts so not working the same muscles/groups of muscles on consecutive days.

It doesn't sound like you're running an established program, so I would start with that...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Soreness is just soreness.

You know it's working because the weight on the bar or number of reps is going up. Not because you can't walk tomorrow.

Your body needs 48 hours or about 2 sleep cycles to recover from a quality training session. What program/progression are you using?

Well, recovery actually depends on the training but that's a pretty decent average. If I recall the research correctly: a squat or deadlift workout can take up to 5 days to recover from, while bench about 3 and small muscle exercise 1-2. It all depends on muscle groups, intensity and exercise selection.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    My current split is 4 days a week, 2 upper and 2 lower, but I've done 3 days for full body, and a more bro split style that ran 5 days. It depends on your preferences and time to devote etc. Soreness is not a useful metric for how well you worked the muscles.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I always felt best with at least a day's rest for a muscle group.

My favorite workout routine and best muscle gains happened doing full-body 2-3 times per week.

Currently I am training 4-days per week: 2 days lower body and 2 days upper body. M,T, rest, TR,F, rest, rest. Repeat.

This being done to reduce time spent in gym each workout to around an hour.

Naturals should avoid Muscle Magazine type 5 and 6 day split routines in my opinion.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

My favorite workout routine and best muscle gains happened doing full-body 2-3 times per week.

Currently I am training 4-days per week: 2 days lower body and 2 days upper body. M,T, rest, TR,F, rest, rest. Repeat.

Naturals should avoid Muscle Magazine type 5 and 6 day split routines in my opinion.

I was doing a PPL split where I would hit everything once a week. Started doubling the split and hit everything twice a week (PPL-R-PPL) and ended up hurting my lower back and blowing out a knee (partially related to my lifting and mostly just stupid luck and age, lol). I've been doing a 3 day full body routine (A+B rotations) that is mostly upper body centric with a little lower body - mostly rehab type stuff for legs.

What surprised me was that the 3 day frequency actually busted me through a couple of sticking points (Bench). I did have to adjust volume on some days but I was surprised by how effective a 3 day full body can be. The only issue I see with it is that once you start hitting lifts heavy enough to stress your joints/tendons that one day rest sometimes doesn't feel like enough. I've had to really pay attention to some tendinitis that keeps threatening to pop up.

edit: misquote
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I do a full body workout almost everyday but it is not extremely long or heavy and is broken up into short segments w/a lot of breaks in between.

Do a different lift combo for 1 hr 4-5 days a week. The only lifts/exercises I do are: DL, SQT, BP, OHP, Rows, Pullups, Pushups and Dips. Try to do a push/pull upper body combo vs a DL or SQT each day.

Also rowing 10k meters a day, which hits the entire body below the neck, in various splits which all add up to about 1hr w/rest.

Usually do the lifts in the AM and rowing in the PM. I do everything at home, so the schedule can vary depending on my mood and things I need to do.

No fatigue or soreness doing this 6-7 days a week. Works for me but I wouldn't automatically recommend it for others. It's just what I do.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »

I was doing a PPL split where I would hit everything once a week. Started doubling the split and hit everything twice a week (PPL-R-PPL) and ended up hurting my lower back and blowing out a knee (partially related to my lifting and mostly just stupid luck and age, lol). I've been doing a 3 day full body routine (A+B rotations) that is mostly upper body centric with a little lower body - mostly rehab type stuff for legs.

What surprised me was that the 3 day frequency actually busted me through a couple of sticking points (Bench). I did have to adjust volume on some days but I was surprised by how effective a 3 day full body can be. The only issue I see with it is that once you start hitting lifts heavy enough to stress your joints/tendons that one day rest sometimes doesn't feel like enough. I've had to really pay attention to some tendinitis that keeps threatening to pop up.

edit: misquote

Getting older was the worst decision I've ever made, I can see you probably regret that decision too. :wink:

Yeah, tell me about it. lol
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hey, you kids, stop the whining! (says the 66 year old)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Hey, you kids, stop the whining! (says the 66 year old)

Yes, sir. :blush:
  • mmapags
    edited January 2018
    Options
    On a more serious note, I have had the good fortune to not be hit with the injury bug. I did 3 day full body for a long time but plateaued. About 3 months ago I transitioned to a 4 day split. It is a lot more volume but more recovery time per muscle group. It has gone really well and some of the CNS fatigue I would get with the full body routines is reduced. I've also changed the rep range I work in to 10 to 15 and that probs helps with the injury factor. When you a pulling heavy, things can happen.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    There's also the fact that if you start with 6 days...where you gonna go from there? 3 is sufficient, especially when you begin. But then there's someplace to go from there. Maybe instead of 3x full body, you want to break it up into an upper and lower and train 4x per week, increase volume a bit. But if you start with 5, you can burn out, therefore not getting optimal recovery for muscle growth, and additionally not being recovered well enough to even train optimally...which can result in just wasted time when you could have done more quality work and volume in 3 days.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @mmapags, it must be a mid 60's thing.
    I've just switched to a 4 day split too. (And thrown in creatine)

I am hoping doing fewer moves per day, though lifting an extra day, will help with the constant beat-up feel. No injuries so far in my lifting life, but I tend to go for rep over weight increase.
    I was happy with AllPro, will probably go back to it, just needed a change.

My social life has been suffering :'(

Cheers, h.
  • mmapags
    Options
    @mmapags, it must be a mid 60's thing.
    I've just switched to a 4 day split too. (And thrown in creatine)

I am hoping doing fewer moves per day, though lifting an extra day, will help with the constant beat-up feel. No injuries so far in my lifting life, but I tend to go for rep over weight increase.
    I was happy with AllPro, will probably go back to it, just needed a change.

My social life has been suffering :'(

Cheers, h.

Me too on the creatine. I've used it before though. I never noticed any water weight gain until this time. A little over 2 lbs. It is helping with intraset recovery and getting out a few more reps.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is the recovery time the same if you aren't lifting heavy? I'm currently strength training 3x/week with dumbbells ranging from 5lbs to 17.5lbs. The book I'm using also includes some weights-and-cardio interval workouts and I'm wondering whether doing them on the off days is safe or whether it might hurt my progress.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is the recovery time the same if you aren't lifting heavy? I'm currently strength training 3x/week with dumbbells ranging from 5lbs to 17.5lbs. The book I'm using also includes some weights-and-cardio interval workouts and I'm wondering whether doing them on the off days is safe or whether it might hurt my progress.

Seems fine. How do you feel?