Keto Diet and Chobani Greek Yogurt. Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Non of the greek yoghurt i buy has any sugar added? Just get plain/natural.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Non of the greek yoghurt i buy has any sugar added? Just get plain/natural.

Me either. Seems easy, and you have control over the amount of fat in it too, of course.

My grocery store has various Bulgarian yogurts and the macros are actually much worse (IMO) than the unflavored greek yogurt I buy.

I don't like artificial sweeteners (taste), but IMO yogurt doesn't need added sweetness. (I sometimes do consume it with berries, however.)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    ssabrina2 wrote: »
    Greek Yogurt is really fat and plus the amount of sugar ruin your diet completely. Avoid all highly advertised products, especially when it comes to dairies. Personally, I have tried all types of diets. In most of the diets, yougurt was an essential product. I tried all the yogurts possible and my conclusion is so hard to find a healthy and fat balanced yogurt. Hoewever, after many experiments I found out Bulgarian yogurt. Now, all my applauses go to Bulgarian yogurt, more specifically to Serdika. Try it and your diet will work better.

Monday Morning Malarky!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    This seems like some deep-seated Greek/Bulgarian rivalry or perhaps jealousy of the Greeks and their yogurt visibility.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    Can I just throw a spanner in the works with Icelandic Skyr! No reason other than to broaden the rivalry and it’s better than both! 😉

I hope it's the miracle Cure at that price. :wink:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Activia only has 11 grams of yogurt if you really need to have yogurt daily. You are adding lots of carbs to it though.

Keto is not for everyone and staying under carbs and meeting protein/fat goals are not difficult if you really want it, but Calorie Counting is more important when trying to lose and maintain weight.

@DJ_Skywalker did you mean to say "only 11 grams of carbs per container"?
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Can I just throw a spanner in the works with Icelandic Skyr! No reason other than to broaden the rivalry and it’s better than both! 😉

I don't like it more (or less) than greek yogurt, but I think it's definitely a nice alternative.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you are going to use yogurt, you are better off getting unsweetened and than using stevia or another nutritional sweetener to add more flavor.

I consume it often, and it's do unsweetened full fat Wegmans Greek yogurt, add 50g of raspberries or 77g of blackberries with 1 tbsp of Stevia. I know this "uses" a lot my carbs, but it's worth it.

@psuLemon the "yogurt carbs don't count because fermentation" sounds like wishful thinking to me, so I am interested in your thoughts. Sounds like you ARE counting yogurt carbs.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

Ahh, it’s the same price as Greek here in the U.K.! If it were significantly more I’d agree there’s not a lot of material difference worth paying extra for.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you are going to use yogurt, you are better off getting unsweetened and than using stevia or another nutritional sweetener to add more flavor.

I consume it often, and it's do unsweetened full fat Wegmans Greek yogurt, add 50g of raspberries or 77g of blackberries with 1 tbsp of Stevia. I know this "uses" a lot my carbs, but it's worth it.

@psuLemon the "yogurt carbs don't count because fermentation" sounds like wishful thinking to me, so I am interested in your thoughts. Sounds like you ARE counting yogurt carbs.

Hell yea they count.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Ahh, it’s the same price as Greek here in the U.K.! If it were significantly more I’d agree there’s not a lot of material difference worth paying extra for.

I just checked at my WF (through amazon prime) and you can find greek for 13 cents an oz, while the cheapest skyr is 19 cents per oz. So for my location I don't think it's that significant a difference (it is a difference, $3.12 vs $4.56 for 24 oz, plain, the same prices available for 0-5%), but of course it depends on how much one eats and the difference in your particular store (which is going to vary throughout the US and by date).
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 lbs eating low carb and continue the way of eating. I eat plain, high fat greek yogurt and add some berries, a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut and a little keto granola. It is very satisfying.

While there is nothing “magical” about low carb way of eating, many people not only lose weight this way, but find it alleviates or even eliminates many other health related troubles. (I have been fully saved from migraines with this way of eating). You may want to join the private low carb eaters group here, you will get lots of great advice from people who believe in this woe, many who have been doing it for years. (You can also avoid the posts simply telling you low carb is <insert any of the lengthy list of negative terms you get here> when you ask a question). Good Luck!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    There is a brand of Greek yogurt called Two Good. It has 3 grams of carbs and 12gm of protein. I’ve switched from Fage to that. Fage was sometimes on sale, but most of the time not. This one is always on sale at Food Lion, 4 for $5.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    amckholmes wrote: »
    I lost 55 lbs eating low carb and continue the way of eating. I eat plain, high fat greek yogurt and add some berries, a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut and a little keto granola. It is very satisfying.

While there is nothing “magical” about low carb way of eating, many people not only lose weight this way, but find it alleviates or even eliminates many other health related troubles. (I have been fully saved from migraines with this way of eating). You may want to join the private low carb eaters group here, you will get lots of great advice from people who believe in this woe, many who have been doing it for years. (You can also avoid the posts simply telling you low carb is <insert any of the lengthy list of negative terms you get here> when you ask a question). Good Luck!

OP's post is over 2 years old.