Chicken Cubans (With pictures!) - for those who LOVE Cuban Sandwiches!

Options
Back_2_Fit
Back_2_Fit Posts: 33 Member
So I scrolled by this recipe on FB the other day on healthy low carb/lower-cal Cubans. I couldn't believe I never thought of it before! I currently live in Illinois and have been here for a little less than a year - if there's one thing we don't have here, it's good Cuban food. I was born and raised in South Florida where Cuban food was everywhere, and I LOVED it! Especially the good ol Cuban Sandwich! I also tried using just pickles and mustard on the side with a cooked boneless pork chop seasoned with salt and pepper for a simpler and quick dinner - tasted amazing!

INGREDIENTS = for 3 servings using 6oz breasts
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2/3 c. yellow mustard
2 tbsp. honey (I nixed the honey to save the calories - it's not missed)
1 tsp. garlic powder
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 slices ham
6 Slices swiss cheese (or provolone, if you don't like swiss)
2/3 c. dill pickle chips, halved

Nutritional information:

For a 6oz serving (without honey!)
Calories: 455 calories
Fat:17.6
Carbs: 2.3

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400º. Place chicken on a cutting board and make 5 slits in each breast, being careful not to cut through completely.
In a medium bowl, whisk together mustard, honey, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper and rub all over chicken breasts.
Place breasts on a medium cooking tray and stuff each with ham, cheese, and pickle chips.
Bake until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, 25 minutes. Serve.

Here's a link to the video/recipe: http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a56791/cuban-stuffed-chicken-recipe/

nowsm0mp8pfd.png

Replies

• LynnMoore2
    LynnMoore2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Now THIS looks interesting! I'll put the individual components of what I purchase into MFP! We're having guests for dinner for Superbowl and this would make a great main course! Thank you for finding and posting!...Lynn
  • Back_2_Fit
    Options
    LynnMoore2 wrote: »
    Now THIS looks interesting! I'll put the individual components of what I purchase into MFP! We're having guests for dinner for Superbowl and this would make a great main course! Thank you for finding and posting!...Lynn

Oooo great idea for using it as a main course during the super bowl! I will have to do that! :) Happy to share the wealth!
  • Back_2_Fit
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I bet this is good. Very good. But this has nothing and I mean absolutely nothing to do with a proper Cuban sandwich :) Believe me.

For sure! I definitely know my proper Cuban sandwiches...but this is a good substitute!
  • Back_2_Fit
    Options
    Back_2_Fit wrote: »
    I bet this is good. Very good. But this has nothing and I mean absolutely nothing to do with a proper Cuban sandwich :) Believe me.

For sure! I definitely know my proper Cuban sandwiches...but this is a good substitute!

How so?
    Its not a sandwich, no bread in sight.
    Its not grilled.

Its a great recipe for hasselback chicken breast :)

Well of course it's not the same thing - or it wouldn't be a low carb/cal substitute ;) Regardless of what its called, the flavors are there and a great chicken recipe with the Cuban sandwich flavors!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I also lived in South Florida (my spouse is Cuban) and cannot stress how much I miss the Cuban restaurants and my mother-in-laws cooking.

We do have a couple of Cuban restaurants here in Denver, but some things will never be the same. I sure miss Cuban bread! And a Cuban sandwich is not a Cuban sandwich without Cuban bread. It's the best part of the sandwich.