Fitbit to track calories - how to eat?

Hi everyone,
I'm in desperate need of advice, I am kinda running out of ideas myself. Here's my situation:
I was injured and didn't work out for about 4 months, and lost a ton of strength during that time (YIKES). I was doing Stronglifts 5x5. I am getting back into it (Week 3 just started), with adjusted weights, and I am not sure how to eat. I currently eat maintenance, since stonrglifts 5x5 is not a "mass" program, but more focused on strength (i.e. danger: the added calories are transformed into fat - that's my own conclusion).
That being said, I purchased a Fitbit, to exactly track how many calories I use every day. Now here's what happened:
My TDEE calculator says eat about 2770 calories a day (6ft, 180lbs, Sedentary Job, 4x exercise/week). With my fitbit, the calories change day to day: When I lift, I burn about 3k-3.1k calories, when I don't lift only about 2500. Last week, I burned 2899 calories on average.
Now to the question: Should I be eating the average (i.e 2900 cals) or the 2770 calculated? Should I eat (about) exactly what I use / day? I am asking because I am concerned that I am hindering myself to gain strength. I am pretty sore after each workout, and was thinking if I up the kcals by adding more protein (currently eating 300g carbs, 205g protein, 70g fat) I could maximize muscle growth w/o risking increasing body fat (I'm already at about 20% and don't want to see that go up).

I know it's a long post, but I tried to explain as much as I could :-) If I need to clarify anything elt me know.
Thanks!

Replies

• aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Both the Fitbit and the TDEE calculator are just estimates - the best way to find out is trial and error. Try eating 2770 and see what happens on the scale (preferably using a weight trending app so daily fluctations aren't getting in the way). If you lose weight, then up the calories. If you maintain your weight, then it's the right amount. In the end, neither of these numbers may be right, and the "right" number may change over time as you gain muscle. The only way to find out is to keep monitoring your intake, exercise and weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited January 2018
    2770 & 2900 are remarkably close!
    Just decide if you prefer a variable daily amount or same amount every day and then pick the tool that compliments that preference. Going to take months to make a significant difference. Adjust your calorie goal based on real world actual results after an extended period of time.

"I am asking because I am concerned that I am hindering myself to gain strength."
    130 cals is unlikely to make a scrap of difference!

"I am pretty sore after each workout"
    After another few weeks of training you won't be.

You are already eating a lot of protein, more is unlikely to be beneficial (unless for enjoyment/adherence you happen to like eating a lot of protein rich foods....).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,860 Member
    Does the fitbit have a HR sensor? It's quite possible that it overestimates your calorie burn based on heartrate. The moment you lift your heartrate goes up. Once your done with the set your HR remains elevated for quite a while all the while you're just sitting around and doing nothing. So you'll have to take the Fitbit calories with a grain of salt and find out for your self what works.

nb: if I trusted the calories on my charge 2 I'd be overeating by about 2500kcal per week. That's a lot for a small woman.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I wore a Fitbit for a few years and the calories burned was way off. It kept telling me I was burning more calories than I actually was and my weight loss stalled. I just bought a Garmin and am finding the same thing. It consistently tells me I'm burning 2500-3000 calories a day. I have a sedentary job and I weight lift (not a high calorie burner) so I know those numbers are off.

I think activity trackers are great to keep you motivated and to keep you moving but I wouldn't trust their calories burned estimates.
  • DHaus09
    DHaus09 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for all the answers! Yes, the fitbit does have a HR sensor. I'll keep that in mind. Really appreciate the help - will monitor intake and weight and see what happens w/o relying too much on the Fitbit. Thanks again!