Expected measurements after weight loss

Options
priv8life
priv8life Posts: 24 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
It’s been a while... returning with a technical question.

If a person looses 15% (just for example) of weight by diet modification, does that person’s neck cicumference, waist circumference, thigh circumference, ect. also reduce by 15%?

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    It's possible but not guaranteed. It's up to genetics and varies by person.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but not probable! It would be unlikely that you'd lose 15% from each area. When I begin to lose weight; I lose it at different rates from different parts of my body. Some people lose weight in certain areas quicker and some do lose weight overall simultaneously. I think it's probably very individualized.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    since weight comes off where it wants to, and not evenly, i will say no.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its hard to know....just take before and after measurements and then you'll know if that's the case for you :smile:
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an interesting experiment. In theory, even if the measurements vary from body part to body part, would they all average together to be 15%?

I'd like to hear from people who have done the before/after measurements from their 15% loss.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It depends, mostly on activity level before/after.

I say this often.

2 years ago when I was 263, I had a 39 inch AC. I was training 5-7 days a week, and could do 1HPushups and Renegade Rows with 16/24 kilos for reps . I aggravated my knee running and had to take some time off. Due the injury, I decided to cut a few pounds(esp since I had to back way off training until I got the verdict on my knee) 8 months later 239 42 inch AC.

I still haven't recovered all of my conditioning
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    That sounds like an interesting experiment. In theory, even if the measurements vary from body part to body part, would they all average together to be 15%?

I'd like to hear from people who have done the before/after measurements from their 15% loss.

Interesting indeed.

I just checked my measurements.
    I've lost 17% of my weight and I'm pear shaped.
    I lost 9% of my hips and 15% of my thighs.
    In other areas I don't have much lost due to my body shape.
    Strange.

Edit: I guess I lose more from areas I don't measure. I imagine I might've lost bigger percentage from the area between where I measure my hips and my thighs. I just don't measure there.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I think it will necessarily depend on what your starting and goal weight are, as well as what your starting/ending measurements are. Also, percentages might not be the best way to envision it as there are certain areas of your body that you'll tend to lose a significant amount from, as well as other areas where you'll tend not to lose much from. The percentages will also naturally rely on how big or small the measurement is that you're looking at.

For example, I only started tracking my measurements and weight progress halfway into my weight loss journey. My weight loss from then until now works out to 17.8%. I lost 3 inches from my waist and 2.9 inches from my hips during that time period. However, since my hip measurement started out as a naturally larger number than my waist, the percentage loss for my hips is smaller at 8% v. 10.5% for my waist. Similarly, I only lost 2.25 inches from my thighs, but since the original thigh measurement was smaller than those two, the percentage works out to 10.7%. Something like a wrist, which is naturally smaller, would skew higher percentage wise - in my case, I only lost 0.35 inches there but that works out to about 6%. I think the results would vary looking at your own progress month to month. I did not lose uniformly in any area and I suspect that that is the case for many.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    crb426 wrote: »

Interesting indeed.

I just checked my measurements.
    I've lost 17% of my weight and I'm pear shaped.
    I lost 9% of my hips and 15% of my thighs.
    In other areas I don't have much lost due to my body shape.
    Strange.

Edit: I guess I lose more from areas I don't measure. I imagine I might've lost bigger percentage from the area between where I measure my hips and my thighs. I just don't measure there.

Yeah, I've lost weight off of my feet and the sides of my face - I can't see it, but I can feel it in how my shoes and glasses fit. I'm not sure I could capture that with a tape measure, if it had even occurred to me to measure there.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I lost roughly 45% of my body weight at one point.. I know for a fact my hips can't have been more than 30ish % smaller though
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No because of several things. If you have any solid body, say a cube 2" wide, if you halve the measurement you get a 1" cube, but the volume/weight has decreased by 8 times because 8 1" cubes will fit in a 2" cube,

But your body is a skeleton with organs and bones and muscles, and different areas have different thicknesses of fat. If you were bodybuilding you might lose nearly all your bodyfat and yet have a bigger neck, because the muscles got bigger.

So no, it is not a directly proportional reduction.