Upped calories, now hungry and ill-feeling

Options
About a week ago, I upped my calories by about 365 (from 1200-1565)...the last three days, I have been crappy feeling, waking up 3-4 in the morning HUNGRY. What's going on? Is this normal when you up your calories? Should I up my calories or just push through this and it will go away?

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you make your food diary public we would be able to help you. I've never experienced this. It could be the foods you added to get the extra calories. Protein and fat keep you satisfied the longest and carbs leave you wanting to eat again in an hour or two.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had that, too. If you are upping, try to make most of those new added cals come from protein or fat; try low carb for maybe a week and see how you feel. I also wake up VERY, painfully hungry when I eat carbs like oats at night.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Just made my diary public...I think I did really well yesterday (I set my macros to 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein)...I also have today's diary loaded, but may be changing some things around. The oatmeal I had for breakfast today was eaten at 3-4 in the morning to try to curb the hunger pains. Also, the cranberry juice is something I am drinking temporarily because I'm having some bladder problems (I usually don't drink fruit juice).
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Another quick explanation: On Tuesday, I had a coke and a pack of lance pb crackers for breakfast. That is no where near typical - that morning was the first morning I woke up feeling sick, stomach hurting, body chills (thought I had some version of the flu). The coke/crackers were to settle my stomach (its what my parents used to give me when I got car sick, so I guess it's comforting to me).
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    bump - still looking for help
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Sometimes upping calories makes me hungrier.

If I've been depriving myself for a while, my body just assumes that we're in a famine of some kind, and stops sending hunger signals to the brain. Once the "famine" is over, it goes a bit overboard, telling my brain, "Hurry up and eat everything! Another famine could be right around the corner!!!" Like squirrels gathering nuts for the winter.

I don't wake up in the middle of the night hungry, but I usually have a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime that tides me over.

On the other hand, if you're having bladder problems, you could have a low grade infection going on that can make you feel all kinds of crappy.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    May I suggest less calorie dense foods? Looks like you would benefit from getting more fiber from fruits and vegetables. Almost everyday you have a meal that is about 800 calories. Try spreading the calories out through the day more.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

If I've been depriving myself for a while, my body just assumes that we're in a famine of some kind, and stops sending hunger signals to the brain. Once the "famine" is over, it goes a bit overboard, telling my brain, "Hurry up and eat everything! Another famine could be right around the corner!!!" Like squirrels gathering nuts for the winter.

I don't wake up in the middle of the night hungry, but I usually have a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime that tides me over.

On the other hand, if you're having bladder problems, you could have a low grade infection going on that can make you feel all kinds of crappy.

^^^ all of this
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Since i upped my calories a couple weeks ago i wake up at 5am super hungry too! I usually will grab a protein bar, hard boiled egg, or packet of almonds then go back to bed. This has been working for me.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    May I suggest less calorie dense foods? Looks like you would benefit from getting more fiber from fruits and vegetables. Almost everyday you have a meal that is about 800 calories. Try spreading the calories out through the day more.

Okay, I will add in more fruits and veggies. On days I work out I do eat a banana right now. I do spread my food out when I eat it, but I group it together for easier logging on MFP. Like today, I had a Zaxby's cobb salad, but I ate it until I was full filling (then finished it about 2 hours later, when I got a little hungry again).
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Since i upped my calories a couple weeks ago i wake up at 5am super hungry too! I usually will grab a protein bar, hard boiled egg, or packet of almonds then go back to bed. This has been working for me.

Glad I'm not alone - this changing of cals up is all new to me. Thanks for the ideas!!
  • jljshoe1979
    Options

Chocolate milk - I love that idea!!! I've had bladder/kidney infections my whole life...if I even think one is coming on, I grab the cranberry juice and do other things to try to keep it under control.