Why haven’t I lost weight?

Options
Beckyferg90
Beckyferg90 Posts: 64 Member
edited January 2018 in Motivation and Support
I’ve been calorie counting now for 4 weeks and lost 10lb. On Monday I did intervals of walking and running on the treadmill to help me loose weight and time. AnywY i had a sneaky look on the scales and I haven’t lost any weight. Any reason why???

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    You've lost ten pounds in four weeks.

What do you mean you haven't lost weight?

You don't lose every day. That is not how the human body works.

This!
  • MrsVerge
    MrsVerge Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I stood on the scale every day and it drove me near to quitting. Up, down, up more, same, down, up, etc. I've since learned that it's better to stand on the scale on Tuesday mornings only - it is much more reliable to weigh yourself at the same time (wearing the same thing - naked is best) of day and at most once a week. A lot of people do it once a month or even more infrequently.

You weighed yourself Monday and weighed the same on Wednesday. Ok. Two days isn't enough to see a change anyway. Was once in the morning and once at night? Once on an empty stomach and once after eating? Those factors also will affect it. I wouldn't worry too much, honestly. Just keep track of your calories in and out and science will do the rest.

I have a Fitbit charge 2. I eat my MFP calories to within 50 of the target including the Fitbit calorie addition. I average 2300 calories a day - seems like a LOT to me - according to Fitbit and I'm still losing 2-3 pounds a week. My base MFP calories for my weight, height, and target weight is 1650.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily. Good way to determine all the fluctuations and why the fluctuations happen.
  • Jasp03
    Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I also weigh daily. Good way to determine all the fluctuations and why the fluctuations happen.

^^ This for me too. But when I weigh myself daily, I don't look at today and yesterday as a comparison. I look at today and last Wednesday.

To the OP: 10lbs in 4 weeks sounds great! So from Monday to today is too short of a time frame to see any changes, so it's normal that you might not see anything. If it was me, I wouldn't be concerned about that one bit. However, if come 1 week to 1.5 weeks from Monday and I still see no change or an increase, what I would do is look through my log and see where I could have went wrong eating (this would almost certainly be the cause and you can fix the problem here) and I would also look at my workout plan and modify that a bit.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Also TOM can make a big difference. A lot of women retain water weight leading up to and during their TOM.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Get an app called Happy Scale, it gives you a gradual weight loss trend and even when there is a gain, which there will be randomly, it doesn't count it.

FYI Happy Scale is only available on iPhones. If you have an Android, Libra is the recommended app to use on it.

OP, it’s been two days. Weight loss isn’t linear, and if you are beginning a new exercise you’re likely going to retain some water.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    You want to look at your general trend over the long term.

Here's a 3 month time frame where I was at or below my calorie goal every day. Plenty of ups and downs with the weight and even the trend. However, the overall trend was downward.

50ncvi8pktgz.jpg
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Beckyferg90 ^^^^ Well answered by everyone above.
    I will add a few links that I drop when ever I see this type of question that are good reads.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

This is one of the best post's on Logging Accurately. MFP changed there Food Diary since buts it's still a good read
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

A Flowchart that is on the MFP Site
    Some minor edits:

8ezcdxnrwewz.jpg

- specified the use of a digital scale
    - made it clearer that weighing/logging accurately means using a scale for everything
    - bolded some important points

Meanwhile, if folks want to save this image and start trialing it in the forums to see if it's useful to anyone, go ahead :)

I Consider this to be the Index to great MFP Posts.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

and a 2nd Index of MFP posts.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

It may seem like a lot of heavy reading, just take them one at a time and bookmark the ones you like for your future reference/re-reads.