Why does my heel hurt?

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
I have been working out regularly for about 2 weeks and this past week my right heel has been killing me! I hurt to the point of limping. The bottom of my heel...that's it. Any ideas? I just find it strange that, with every muscle in my that could be hurting from exercise that it is my heel that is hurting. What gives?

Replies

• Mombip
    Mombip Posts: 3
    Options
    I had the same problem but I knew I had a tendon problem with the bottom of my foot. Well I got upset because the more I walked the more it hurt. Well I got frustrated to the point of going to the foot doctor and come to find out I have a heel spur. The doctor was like this is very painful and inflamed. I looked at him and was like really, you are not telling me anything new. So now I am on a anit-inflammation pill and he is trying a newer procedure of wrapping it with tape. So I go back for a follow up this week to see if anything has changed, but let me tell you it hasn't so far. So I guess to stop my venting, I suggest go to the doctor before it gets to bad like me.
  • jjstokes
    jjstokes Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    plantar fasciitis? need more supportive shoes? or arch support inserts?
  • OnieBee
    OnieBee Posts: 67
    Options
    I hurt my right heel also not very long ago... I tore a tendon or as I like to say, overly stretched a tendon and had to wear a space boot for a couple of weeks. I was told it was because of over using it without stretching. It was extremely painful and still hurts from time to time. I would suggest seeing a foot Dr. because you don't want to continue using that foot without knowing the damage, it could injure it more!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plantar fascitis...you need to take it easy, ice it, anti-inflamatory, and there are stretching exercise for your foot you can do....but to be sure, if it continues....you should see a DR.....hope this helps
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    OMG! I really thought I was being silly. Really?! Crap. I know that it can't be my shoes 'cause they are walking/running shoes and have never had problems with them. It is driving me crazy because the pain is JUST in my heel, no pain what so ever in or near the arches or ankle. This is crazy. OMG! I won't be able to wear heals to work! I start work again on Monday! Crap!

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll definitely try your suggestions and give it a week or so. If it doesn't get better, I don't know what I'll do. Can't afford a podiatrist. AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!:sad:
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds like plantar fasciitis - the tendon that stretches across the bottom of your foot from your heel to your toes, and is connected around the back of your heel to your Achilles tendon is what causes the pain...you could also have a heel spur, which is a small calcium deposit on the heel bone or in the tendon that creates inflamation...if the pain is severe, especially first thing in the morning after a night of rest, that is usually a good indication that you have plantar fasciitis...take it from someone who has had multiple cortisone injections to deal with mine...

Proper stretching of your foot and Achilles is key to dealing with it...the tendon tends to shorten and tighten overnight, then when you first get up in the morning, you stretch and tear the tendon all over again as soon as you put weight on it...you can buy a relatively inexpensive brace from Walgreens or the like that will keep your foot flexed at night while you sleep, which will help with avoiding a reaggravation injury, but once the damage is done (as it is in your case), it takes weeks, sometimes months, of rest and stretching to recover, especially if you wear heels or other non-supportive type dress shoes regularly and walk or stand a lot at work...

There are plenty of guides you can Google on proper stretching and recovery of this type of injury, but because our feet and legs support our entire body weight, it can take a long time to completely heal...and reaggravating it is very easy to do...

If you sleep on your stomach, you may be contributing to the shortening/tightening of your tendon as well, since you probably sleep with the top of your foot flat on the bed, which contracts that tendon...that's where the flex brace comes in handy...it takes some getting used to especially if you are a stomach/side sleeper, but it will make a big difference in your recovery time...

Hope this helps! Good luck, I certainly can sympathize with your pain...
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    yep, i just started having the same thing, and my conclusion after an article about it, was plantar fascitis as well. i tried to console myself with the knowledge that professional athletes get it as well. i ordered some new shoes (i was using running shoes for zumba dancing...oops!), and have been icing and taking Advil. it seems to be getting better, but I read that it can take a while. mine seems to be worst first thing in the morning, and then fades as the day goes on. doing the stretches before i get out of bed helps a bit too.
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    yep, i just started having the same thing, and my conclusion after an article about it, was plantar fascitis as well. i tried to console myself with the knowledge that professional athletes get it as well. i ordered some new shoes (i was using running shoes for zumba dancing...oops!), and have been icing and taking Advil. it seems to be getting better, but I read that it can take a while. mine seems to be worst first thing in the morning, and then fades as the day goes on. doing the stretches before i get out of bed helps a bit too.

My dear Watson, I do believe you're on to something!!! :bigsmile: I, too, did a little research after the previous posts and found the catalyst for mine. I work at a local elementary school and I have been on summer vacation since June 14th. I have been walking bare feet nearly the entire time. The article I read said that this a contributing factor for many who suffer with this. It makes sense because when I wear my walking shoes to the gym, etc., the pain is not nearly as bad.
  • rawad
    rawad Posts: 8
    Options
    I had plantars fasciitis last year - it's miserable! Turns out that I have very flat arches and I overpronate, and these are common contributors. Did a lot of stretcing and icing, some physical therapy, and was fitted for orthodics which help to position my foot correctly. One of the best icing tips I got was to fill a small (300ml) water bottle and freeze it, then roll my foot over it from the heel to the ball of my foot for about 20 minutes every few hours.

Been pain free for over a year. Well, except for the shin splints that just started this week as a result of my adding some higher speed intervals into my runs - but that's a different post...

Good luck!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Walgreens sells a really good flex-brace that you can actually walk in in the middle of the night if you need to (like I do!). I've been dealing with heel pain for about a year, now. It's plantar fasciitis, for sure. The heel brace allows me to walk without pain first thing in the morning.

I wear orthotics in my gym shoes, as well, and that takes up some of the pain. I also use Dr. Roth's FABS for my arches, even with the orthotics. It cuts down on the pressure of that tendon that runs to the heel.

I'm in ballet classes around 20 hours a week, so I fully undersand the pain!