Introduction

Options
Hi everyone,
My name is Mariah. I am starting up with myfitnesspal to see if I can actually lose weight with assistance from my doctors. This is really difficult because the healthier food is more expensive. I am hoping to learn how to budget better as well. I have tried so many diet programs so I am going to start thinking this as a life style change and hoping to stick with it. If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to cut out junk snack foods and fried foods I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is pretty straightforward - you lose weight when you eat less (fewer calories than you burn), for real, consistently and for a long time. The most difficult part for most people is to to let go of the mentality that dieting is suffering, starvation, punishment on the one hand, and fast, exciting and filled with magic on the other. You will of course need follow-ups if you have any medical issues, but if there is a "weightloss clinic/doctor" involved, I'd be very careful to make sure it's not a scam.

A healthy diet is taking in sufficient, but not too much, of a range of nutrients, and you can get that quite easily by eating a selection of foods from all the food groups every day. Healthy food is not more expensive. Expensive food is expensive. Takeout and eating out and throwing out food is expensive. If you base your intake on home cooking and simple ingredients, you can eat cheap, tasty and healthy. But this means you have to plan your meals so you eat up everything, and learn where, when and how to get the best deals, be creative and flexible and get out of your comfort zone.

So you don't have to eat anything in particular or cut out anything. But the easiest way to reduce consumption of something, is to make it harder to get and create an even more attactive alternative more available. This usually means you have to learn how to cook.