47 and still tech stupid with simple things lol

Options
2»

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    no your not the only one. i know how to work a computer for the internet but that's about it. i've been wanting to buy a mp3 player but i don't have a clue how to down load songs to it. i go to youtube when i want to learn something new
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get frustrated by technology. I did not 'grow up' with computers, cell phones etc. Our big technology was VCR's, camcorders, heck microwaves!

I miss how things seemed more simple minus technology, but I also enjoy some of the convenience of technology too. So six of one, half a dozen of the other.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    I am in my late 40s and I have to ask my 6th grader to turn on the television in the family room, because I cannot figure out the various remotes.

Haha! Thank god I'm not the only one in the world!!! Every remote is different and we have 3 TV's. Why don't they make them all the same and put clear instructions on them?
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    bojack3 wrote: »
    I'm 47 and I'm tech savvy enough to call a tech person to do my tech work for me....;)

Lol I could but I'm to sunburn. I'll try to figure it out myself.

I have 2 core businesses....I build bodies and I build houses....I do both extremely well. I muddle through tech, but that's not my forte and to try to make it so may effect my bottom line. So, I hire experts to keep me running smoothly and to educate me enough to maintain. I'll never be an IT guy, and most IT guys couldn't even fathom doing what I do.....it's a good marriage ;)
  • Lianapugzoe
    Lianapugzoe Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I'm tech savvy enough to call a tech person to do my tech work for me....;)

I have 2 core businesses....I build bodies and I build houses....I do both extremely well. I muddle through tech, but that's not my forte and to try to make it so may effect my bottom line. So, I hire experts to keep me running smoothly and to educate me enough to maintain. I'll never be an IT guy, and most IT guys couldn't even fathom doing what I do.....it's a good marriage ;)

Sounds like a perfect marriage.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am very tech savvy, but I find if I wear a low cut neck line, it makes me even more interesting.
  • Lianapugzoe
    Lianapugzoe Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I am very tech savvy, but I find if I wear a low cut neck line, it makes me even more interesting.

Raised brow...you think so...?
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

I work in IT and not too many days go by that I wouldn't rather be building houses, the money is the only thing keeping me here.

What I see most of the time is it's not that the people don't know the technology, it's that they don't know what to do when the technology doesn't work step for step how they expect it to.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

I work in IT and not too many days go by that I wouldn't rather be building houses, the money is the only thing keeping me here.

What I see most of the time is it's not that the people don't know the technology, it's that they don't know what to do when the technology doesn't work step for step how they expect it to.

You can become very wealthy building houses.....

And yes, I agree. It's when there is a technological breakdown that I struggle. Doesn't stop me from doing my job, just creates one for IT.....so I guess yuou could say my ignorance helps the economy ;)
  • billneal1
    billneal1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just retired from firefighting and most of the older guys cannot keep up with all the computerized equipment we now have. I am fortunate that I deal with that kinda stuff all day long on my off day job. At least in the fire service, you cannot teach old dogs new tricks
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

You can become very wealthy building houses.....

And yes, I agree. It's when there is a technological breakdown that I struggle. Doesn't stop me from doing my job, just creates one for IT.....so I guess yuou could say my ignorance helps the economy ;)

Oh you definitely can, didn't mean to insinuate that you couldn't. The years it would take me to get my feet wet and become established with it just doesn't work out with my financial goals at the moment. Here in a little over a year when I'm out of my mortgage I'll have a little more freedom to take some risks.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    don't get me started. I work with people over 40 years, and they make around 200k, and they cant even operate a simple comp...

A skill without a purpose or practical application is just a hobby. That describes millions of people who are highly tech-savvy and haven't leveraged that to do anything productive. That executive you mentioned has skills that allowed him to earn $200k - I think most people would opt for his talents as opposed to having a lot of technical capabilities and earning $40k.

Im talking about my boss who makes 200k and thinks a monitor is broken because its off...

lol i've had the IT people out for a wire that came unplugged. my uncles have no clue how to work the different things but then they had trouble working the vcr