Can't get warm!

Options
I've figured out that I backslide every winter because when I reduce calorie intake, I freeze! Freezing in an already freezing place is miserable. When I eat above maintenance, I'm fine. It's nearly 75 degrees in my office right now, and I keep getting up to do jumping jacks in attempt to warm up, but it's not working. I've had recent physical and bloodwork - no anemia, thyroid issues or any problems. I just can't concentrate on anything when I'm cold. Anyone else experience this? I don't usually buy the premise that metabolism fluctuates discernibly, but my furnace doesn't seem to be doing much to burn calories and warm me up! What do you do, if you're like this too?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I tend to run cold as well, especially when I'm in a deficit. It stinks, but I don't think it's unusual. I have a little space heater in my office and I drink a lot of coffee/tea.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the prescribed calories? Have you maybe set your loss goal too aggressively?
    Eating too little, not enough fats, skipping meals etc can result in feeling chilled.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm also a lot colder when I'm reducing calories and losing weight. I was just telling my husband recently that I wasn't so cold this winter, and it was probably because of my extra layer of fat. In the last couple of weeks I've been eating at a deficit and losing some weight, and now I'm freezing! And I live in the south! I just have to resort to wearing my warm fluffy robe or another warm sweater or jacket in the house, with slippers, and while I'm out, my really warm coat. You'll usually see me with a cup of coffee or hot tea.

I'm only eating at about a 500 cal deficit, for a net total of 1650 cal per day (female, 5'6", 153)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I'm always warm, pretty much no matter the time of year. I do remember the winter after the first time I significantly lost weight back in high school I froze all winter having not adapted to being down 30 lbs, was a very unexpected side-effect, just lasted for that winter though.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost? It's not necessarily a metabolism problem--it's an insulation problem. Fat is an excellent insulator. When you get rid of fat, you also get rid of the body's extra layer of insulation. I'm in maintenance now and I'm SO COLD compared to 100 pounds ago.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    I've figured out that I backslide every winter because when I reduce calorie intake, I freeze! Freezing in an already freezing place is miserable. When I eat above maintenance, I'm fine. It's nearly 75 degrees in my office right now, and I keep getting up to do jumping jacks in attempt to warm up, but it's not working. I've had recent physical and bloodwork - no anemia, thyroid issues or any problems. I just can't concentrate on anything when I'm cold. Anyone else experience this? I don't usually buy the premise that metabolism fluctuates discernibly, but my furnace doesn't seem to be doing much to burn calories and warm me up! What do you do, if you're like this too?

I do notice it more recently. Yesterday when I drove home, the outside temperature was 60 F, generally a wonderfully pleasant day, but I was wearing my heavy coat, windows up, heater on. Even now the office temperature is about 70 F and my fingers are cold.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If I sit still I will get cold even in a pretty warm room. A sit/stand desk is a help. Standing and fidgeting around warms me up!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Adaptive thermogenesis does reduce core body temperature as one of its mechanisms.

Minimizing it is a good idea...

Small food deficits with concurrent small NEAT/exercise increases resulting in deficits not exceeding 20% of TDEE. Re-feeds and appropriate diet breaks are some ideas.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i lost weight and became the cold miser. im always freezing. literally, if its below 90 outside, im FREEZING.

i keep a space heater under my desk at work and next to my chair at home.

its the only way i can survive lolol
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Since losing weight I have become the queen of layering my clothing to stay warm. I have everything from light silk to heavy wool base layers depending on what I'm doing. That said, I am in no way a "fashion queen." I dress to be comfortable.
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem! I’m always melting (thanks menopause!)

Suggestions to layer, sneak a space heater around your feet, drink hot liquids will help, and moving around frequently is fantastic. As ugly as they are, Uggs are amazingly warm if you get cold toes.

The question I think your asking is about calorie intake. You may want to consider elevating your intake when it’s cold. If you are trying to lose weight, set your goal for a slower weekly loss. You can always increase the rate when it warms up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »

What are you wearing (including shoes) and what are you eating and drinking? I don't eat salads or drink cold beverages in the winter. I drink hot tea all day long.

My mom's neighbor the NYC tug boat captain says, "There's no bad weather, just bad gear."

If I can be warm and comfortable during winter camping, sleeping outside when it's 17 degrees F out, you're probably not wearing enough clothes or the right kind of clothes. Turtlenecks, wool sweaters and socks, and leather boots are your friends.

For those of you who work at home or can wear whatever footwear you please to work, I cannot recommend Sorel Manawans more highly. I saved $50 off my electric bill the first month I got them. I wear them with cotton socks under wool socks.

https://www.zappos.com/p/sorel-manawann-marsh/product/7422158/color/70450

81q1uGEcitL._SX480_.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I get colder than I used to but not quite that bad. The highest I have turned the heat is 72 F. I dress in layers- long underwear, sweaters. Wool socks. Slippers or shoes. Exercise to warm up. Drink hot drinks or have soup. Hot baths. Blankets.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm a big user of heated blankes and throws. You can keep the heat MUCH lower if you put a heated throw blanket on your sofa! It's a money-saver.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hot teas and heating blankets are my friends! My past blankets bit the dust, and I tried going without beause I couldn't find an affordable one I was happy with. I was miserable! Could not get warm enough even with sweats, hooded sweaters,and gloves under several layers of blankets. Thank God Costco had a big super soft ine on sale, that is petting me sleep again!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance after losing over 75 lbs, and I'm always cold. Since the fat padding is gone, I learned to dress warmer to be comfortable, just put an extra layer on, and you should be fine. No reason to be miserable, even a pair of socks on your feet will make a huge difference, so wear appropriate amount of clothes, that's all.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I’m assuming you’re a woman, and here’s what I’ve done. Wear lightweight long underwear under your pants. I like the Cuddleduds brand because they worked for me: they are soft next to your skin and slick on the outside so your pants won’t stick to them or bunch up (avoid cotton). Wear thicker socks. If wearing a skirt, use heavyweight tights; mine have a thin layer of fuzzy soft stuff on the inside but they look like your standard opaque tights. I’ve sometimes resorted to lightweight fingerless gloves so I can continue to type. Tank top or silk tee-shirt style top + long sleeve sweater. And I’ve marched down to the office manager’s office and said it’s past time to adjust the dang thermostat.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp of having a space heater by my desk at work. I have mine year round. I live in Miami and I'm still freezing all the time. I've always run cold but it did get worse when I lost weight.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    The real mystery to me is how I can freeze my way through the days, yet as soon as I'm asleep, my body magically reaches approximately 17,387 degrees Fahrenheit!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    The real mystery to me is how I can freeze my way through the days, yet as soon as I'm asleep, my body magically reaches approximately 17,387 degrees Fahrenheit!

weird. my fiance says the same about me????? lolololololol