Should I eat rice or quinoa for weight loss?

My goal is 10lbs if weight loss then to maintain my weight. Should I eat rice or quinoa? My coworker & a friend informed me that eating rice will lead to weight gain? I’ve been eating 2 1/2 cups of rice a day.. what should I replace rice with.. thanks in advance!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,099 Member
    Which ever fits your calorie goal.
  • LaurenD63
    LaurenD63 Posts: 57 Member
    I love rice and quinoa! I started limiting my portions since they can add up in calories.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    You can eat rice or quinoa or whatever else you like as long as you're in a calorie deficit. It sounds like you're getting a lot of calories from rice, though, so you might find it more satisfying to eat smaller portions of rice.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Or pick neither and get a lot more calorie bang-fit-the-buck with vegetables.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    My goal is 10lbs if weight loss then to maintain my weight. Should I eat rice or quinoa? My coworker & a friend informed me that eating rice will lead to weight gain? I’ve been eating 2 1/2 cups of rice a day.. what should I replace rice with.. thanks in advance!

It doesn't matter which one you have. The key to this is portion control, and 2 1/2 cups is way more than a portion size for one person.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Does not matter.

I sometimes eat rice, sometimes eat quinoa, and most days eat other foods and no rice or quinoa. Not because either rice or quinoa is bad for weight loss or maintenance, but just because I like a variety of foods.

If you like eating 2.5 cups of rice per day and it fits in your calories and your diet is sufficiently balanced and healthy and meets your overall needs, then it's fine.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Go for either!!! Just eat it in moderation and you're fine.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member

Weight loss is about calories. A calorie deficit to be more specific.
    All food has calories. Quinoa is not much different in calories to rice so it will not make a difference really.
    If you like rice and it satisfies you then eat that. If you like quinoa eat that. Mix them together if you like. With both foods you may want to weigh instead of using cups to get your portion size more accurate. Get a digital food scale.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    I personally have found that cutting portion size of carbs and grains is the easiest way to get to a calorie deficit. For example, I might have 1/3 cup quinoa with a moderate piece of chicken or salmon plus a bunch of veggies for dinner. Fairly easy to stick to < 400 calories/meal with this approach.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,867 Member
    I'd rather eat food that keeps me full than what's supposed to be healthy. I eat a lot of rice, bread, pasta, etc. Those things keep me full. But of course this is very individual. Other people get full from veggies, or meat, or nuts.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Whatever keeps you within your calorie goal per day eat it
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Like everyone else said, if it fits your calories eat what you want.

I have recently discovered cauliflower rice, obviously it doesn't taste the same as rice, but you can have a lot more than regular rice (I'm a volume eater), and the cauliflower rice takes on the flavour of whatever sauce you add to it. So it's a win for me.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    neither - farro is where its at ;) (yes, i'm kidding)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Your coworker is an idiot.

The next time they tried to give you nutritional advice ask them to provide their nutrition degree.

Eat whatever you want to lose weight.

I’ve been eating pizza and Ice cream and am down 5lbs in 2 months. Purely because I’m intelligent about it.

Count your calories and eat in amild deficit, as long as you count correctly you will lose weight.