2»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I am supposed to eat high sodium. In the UK it is salt that is given on the label not sodium and I'm supposed to eat around 8gr of salt per day. I think this is around 3200mg sodium.
    Luckily I like very salty food. I just try to eat more salt, I don't actually monitor my intake. I find it difficult to measure because I just use table salt from the shaker and put plenty until I like the taste.

Edit: have you checked yourself for POTS?

I have not actually! I had to google that to see what it is. Hmmmm it makes me wonder if possible? I’m drinking pedialyte to see if this will go away but if not then I’m going to call the dr back and see what she says. Would that take a cardiologist to diagnose?

Yes, you need a cardiologist. I have POTS which I didn't know existed until a year ago. I've suffered undiagnosed my whole life until then. It was very easy to get a diagnosis once I heard about it because my pulse more than doubles when I'm standing - from say 70bpm sitting to 150bpm standing and then increases until I sit. Exercise was out of the question. Didn't do a tilt table test. I was given to wear a holter for 3 days though to help the diagnosis.
    Now I'm taking a beta blocker which has such a huge effect on my wellbeing (in the positive respect). Now my fatigue is almost gone!

How you started any exercise yet? My wife is unable to do any type of cardio, but when we had her doing weight training, she saw improvements in her condition and less symptomatic. I suspect, its due to the increase in blood flow that is driven by utilizing the bigger muscles (Squats, DL, bench, OHP).

But similarly, her RHR is around 90 to 100, and often goes up to 140. We have an appointment with her electrophysiologist in a few weeks to discuss getting back on a beta blocker since she is done with having children.

Yes, I exercise now. I can't do standing cardio like runnning or elliptical which is even worse but biking is OK. For cardio I mostly walk which is now not as bad with the beta blocker as it is not intensive.

I started weight training. I can exercise but I get overtrained very quickly and then feel exhausted for 2 or 3 days with brain fog and inability to even think at all (which is a problem because I'm writing a dissertation in theoretical physics and I can't afford to rest days upon days). I just went back to exercise after a lower back injury and did exactly that - overtrained and had to lie like a zombie on the couch for 3 days. So if I don't want this to happen I need to be very careful and constantly remind myself that I'm not like most people in the gym and should not try to push myself as hard. Just need to do at most half of what most people would call a full workout.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am supposed to eat high sodium. In the UK it is salt that is given on the label not sodium and I'm supposed to eat around 8gr of salt per day. I think this is around 3200mg sodium.
    Luckily I like very salty food. I just try to eat more salt, I don't actually monitor my intake. I find it difficult to measure because I just use table salt from the shaker and put plenty until I like the taste.

I have not actually! I had to google that to see what it is. Hmmmm it makes me wonder if possible? I’m drinking pedialyte to see if this will go away but if not then I’m going to call the dr back and see what she says. Would that take a cardiologist to diagnose?

Yes, you need a cardiologist. I have POTS which I didn't know existed until a year ago. I've suffered undiagnosed my whole life until then. It was very easy to get a diagnosis once I heard about it because my pulse more than doubles when I'm standing - from say 70bpm sitting to 150bpm standing and then increases until I sit. Exercise was out of the question. Didn't do a tilt table test. I was given to wear a holter for 3 days though to help the diagnosis.
    Now I'm taking a beta blocker which has such a huge effect on my wellbeing (in the positive respect). Now my fatigue is almost gone!

How you started any exercise yet? My wife is unable to do any type of cardio, but when we had her doing weight training, she saw improvements in her condition and less symptomatic. I suspect, its due to the increase in blood flow that is driven by utilizing the bigger muscles (Squats, DL, bench, OHP).

But similarly, her RHR is around 90 to 100, and often goes up to 140. We have an appointment with her electrophysiologist in a few weeks to discuss getting back on a beta blocker since she is done with having children.

Yes, I exercise now. I can't do standing cardio like runnning or elliptical which is even worse but biking is OK. For cardio I mostly walk which is now not as bad with the beta blocker as it is not intensive.

I started weight training. I can exercise but I get overtrained very quickly and then feel exhausted for 2 or 3 days with brain fog and inability to even think at all (which is a problem because I'm writing a dissertation in theoretical physics and I can't afford to rest days upon days). I just went back to exercise after a lower back injury and did exactly that - overtrained and had to lie like a zombie on the couch for 3 days. So if I don't want this to happen I need to be very careful and constantly remind myself that I'm not like most people in the gym and should not try to push myself as hard. Just need to do at most half of what most people would call a full workout.

My wife is the same way....easily fatigued and has a harder time to recover. We have found with longer rest periods between moves and focused on a handful of core lifts has allowed her to do pretty well. But now that she is almost allowed to exercise again (just had our 2nd baby), I have to reprogram her workout. In the past, I had her doing about 30 to 45 minutes of lifting which consisted of about 5 moves.

OP, sorry for the small deviation.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

My wife is the same way....easily fatigued and has a harder time to recover. We have found with longer rest periods between moves and focused on a handful of core lifts has allowed her to do pretty well. But now that she is almost allowed to exercise again (just had our 2nd baby), I have to reprogram her workout. In the past, I had her doing about 30 to 45 minutes of lifting which consisted of about 5 moves.

OP, sorry for the small deviation.

I do the same. Rest a lot between reps. Have to sit between reps which is not always an option in the gym. I'm sorry your wife is suffering like that but I have to say it is nice to hear I'm not alone. You easilly forget this and end up feeling a wierdo.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    I actually have the opposite of POTS, and my GP doesn't know what to do with that. If I stand up and start moving, or when I do a sprint from standing, or walk or run uphill my HR does not adjust to the extra effort unless I stop doing this. Once I continue it drops down again and I get the feeling of standing up too quickly with low blood pressure.

Hiking up mountains for me looks like this: walk 50-200 steps with heavy legs, light-headed and being out of breath. Stop. HR goes up and I feel normal again right away. Walk on: light-headed again, heavy legs and being out of breath as the HR does not increase. Stop again, etc...

I can jump out of bed in the morning and walk circles in my flat, and my HR remains at around 55-60, my resting HR until I stop and then it goes up.
  • RunningJustIncase
    RunningJustIncase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble with POTS when I was younger, my blood pressure was typically in the 80-90/40-50 range. As I near my 40's it rarely bothers me and my blood pressure is in the 90-110/50-65 range.

One thing I would ask, do you have any digestive issues? I have Crohn's and because of the symptoms, I was consistently low in electrolytes. Now, with tracking, I have found I consistently consume quite a bit more than the recommended sodium levels with no symptoms and no effect to blood levels, so I assume it is balancing out what I lose because of my ileostomy. But the ileostomy isn't the only cause, even prior to surgery I always had low levels of electrolytes.

Nope no digestive issues at all. I’m sorry you’re struggling with POTS though.
  • RunningJustIncase
    Options

Have you started any exercise yet? My wife is unable to do any type of cardio, but when we had her doing weight training, she saw improvements in her condition and less symptomatic. I suspect, its due to the increase in blood flow that is driven by utilizing the bigger muscles (Squats, DL, bench, OHP).

Yes I workout hard. Usually intense incline training on a daily basis or I run at least a 5k with a minimum 5 inch incline. I don’t have any issues with working out. But when I see my masseuse I struggle with just turning over on the table. I get really dizzy and lightheaded! I have no fatigue or weakness though. In fact, I have too much energy.
    I did get up to 230 when I had my baby (usually I stay at 170 because I feel really good there) but I decided to go back to 130’s. I’ve lost 92 lbs in a year actually so my dr. Also said my body is probably struggling to adjust (which is very well plausible).
  • RunningJustIncase
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? How much sodium did you eat when you increased?

My wife has POTS and her sodium goals are close to 10,000mg; she always tries to eat a lot of potassium and magnesium. On top of that, she gets IV infusions every other week, supplements with prescription 800mg of potassium, 500mg of magnesium and 5000iu of Vit D to fight fatigue. But my wife's POTS is pretty bad. She can't lie flat or changes positions very quickly. But if you want to know if you have POTS, you would need to go to a cardiologist and get a tilt table test.

In regards to salt, you can add a bunch to your foods (my wife actually salts her bacon) and then supplement if needed with electrolyte tablets.

You can take a look at my diary. I sent you FR. but usually I’m in a deficit. I maintained intentionally in December but usually avg. 1100 mg of sodium a day. Usually 1200-1400 a day but I do workout hard and burn a lot.
  • RunningJustIncase
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I actually have the opposite of POTS, and my GP doesn't know what to do with that. If I stand up and start moving, or when I do a sprint from standing, or walk or run uphill my HR does not adjust to the extra effort unless I stop doing this. Once I continue it drops down again and I get the feeling of standing up too quickly with low blood pressure.

Hiking up mountains for me looks like this: walk 50-200 steps with heavy legs, light-headed and being out of breath. Stop. HR goes up and I feel normal again right away. Walk on: light-headed again, heavy legs and being out of breath as the HR does not increase. Stop again, etc...

I can jump out of bed in the morning and walk circles in my flat, and my HR remains at around 55-60, my resting HR until I stop and then it goes up.

Wow how odd! I’m sorry you’re struggling with this!

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? How much sodium did you eat when you increased?

My wife has POTS and her sodium goals are close to 10,000mg; she always tries to eat a lot of potassium and magnesium. On top of that, she gets IV infusions every other week, supplements with prescription 800mg of potassium, 500mg of magnesium and 5000iu of Vit D to fight fatigue. But my wife's POTS is pretty bad. She can't lie flat or changes positions very quickly. But if you want to know if you have POTS, you would need to go to a cardiologist and get a tilt table test.

In regards to salt, you can add a bunch to your foods (my wife actually salts her bacon) and then supplement if needed with electrolyte tablets.

You can take a look at my diary. I sent you FR. but usually I’m in a deficit. I maintained intentionally in December but usually avg. 1100 mg of sodium a day. Usually 1200-1400 a day but I do workout hard and burn a lot.

I definitely recommend upping it.

I don't have POTS, but if left to my own devices, go low sodium. I also workout *hard*. My dietitian has told me she wants to see me eating a minimum of 2000 mg a day -- and that if I go higher, fine, but that I should not be going lower.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2018
    Options

Low cal, low sodium, excessive exercise and a lot of weight loss is probably driving the problem. Youd be best taking andiet break since you cut calorie for a year. This means bumping calories to maintenance for two weeks, particularly do moderate and very high carb. Based on your weight loss, your maintenance is around 2100 calories, which is probably where you should be for two weeks.

It might drive some increases in water weight, especially if you do high carb, because you will drive increases to glycogen storage and increase food waste in your system. Don't worey, its not fat.

Recent evidence suggest that this can reduce cortisol levels (stress levels) and improve leptin levels (hunger and regulation of energy balance).

Eta: looking at your diary, it seems that you are eating more than you suggest. But id definitely increase sodium or add salt to your foods.

I aim for 3000 to 5000mg a day.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

OP, if you’re eating 1200-1400 a day and not eating back exercise calories, depending on how long you’ve been running this type of a deficit, some of your problems could stem from under-eating.

I might have missed it, but what’s your height, current weight and goal weight?
  • Psychgrrl
    Options

And she had two pregnancies? Your wife is officially my hero! :triumph:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

And she had two pregnancies? Your wife is officially my hero! :triumph:

We just had our 2nd child. Ironically, pregnancy is the best time for POTS since you naturally double your blood volume. With POTS, blood volume tends to be lower than normal, which is part of the rest veins collapse more often.
  • RunningJustIncase
    Options

Low cal, low sodium, excessive exercise and a lot of weight loss is probably driving the problem. Youd be best taking andiet break since you cut calorie for a year. This means bumping calories to maintenance for two weeks, particularly do moderate and very high carb. Based on your weight loss, your maintenance is around 2100 calories, which is probably where you should be for two weeks.

It might drive some increases in water weight, especially if you do high carb, because you will drive increases to glycogen storage and increase food waste in your system. Don't worey, its not fat.

Recent evidence suggest that this can reduce cortisol levels (stress levels) and improve leptin levels (hunger and regulation of energy balance).

Eta: looking at your diary, it seems that you are eating more than you suggest. But id definitely increase sodium or add salt to your foods.

I aim for 3000 to 5000mg a day.

Ok thank you for your input! And yes I saw the water retention throughout the month of December but knew I wasn’t gaining actual fat:)
  • RunningJustIncase
    Options

OP, if you’re eating 1200-1400 a day and not eating back exercise calories, depending on how long you’ve been running this type of a deficit, some of your problems could stem from under-eating.

I try and eat some back especially now. I’m 5’3. After baby I started from 230. I’m now 138. I lost it in a year. My goal is 135 so I’m close! Normally I kept myself at 170 because I used to be smaller like now but was sick a lot. But decided to try this again. I’m in great shape and workout hard!
    I’ve added pedialyte to my water since I can ring my clothes out after every workout.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options

I try and eat some back especially now. I’m 5’3. After baby I started from 230. I’m now 138. I lost it in a year. My goal is 135 so I’m close! Normally I kept myself at 170 because I used to be smaller like now but was sick a lot. But decided to try this again. I’m in great shape and workout hard!
    I’ve added pedialyte to my water since I can ring my clothes out after every workout.

OP, you’re at a healthy weight. 1200 is too aggressive a deficit for you. You’re not eating enough. Your goal should be to lose .5 lbs a week.

I realize you’re so close and just want to push hard to the finish line, but at what cost? What shape will you be in when you get there? Think about the reason you started this post. The way you’re feeling. The extreme deficit could be part of the reason you have those symptoms, especially if you’ve maintained that rate of loss (or tried to) the entire time you’ve been losing weight.

You’ve done such an incredible job shedding pounds. Please take care of yourself and don’t risk undoing all your hard work by pushing your body beyond what it can take. :heart:
  • RunningJustIncase
    Options

OP, you’re at a healthy weight. 1200 is too aggressive a deficit for you. You’re not eating enough. Your goal should be to lose .5 lbs a week.

I realize you’re so close and just want to push hard to the finish line, but at what cost? What shape will you be in when you get there? Think about the reason you started this post. The way you’re feeling. The extreme deficit could be part of the reason you have those symptoms, especially if you’ve maintained that rate of loss (or tried to) the entire time you’ve been losing weight.

You’ve done such an incredible job shedding pounds. Please take care of yourself and don’t risk undoing all your hard work by pushing your body beyond what it can take. :heart:

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your kindness and encouragement:)
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

You could start by getting a referral to a cardiologist, specifically one that specialises in electrophysiology. Your GP probably ‘doesn’t know what to do with this’ as it’s outside the scope of general practice.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

You could start by getting a referral to a cardiologist, specifically one that specialises in electrophysiology. Your GP probably ‘doesn’t know what to do with this’ as it’s outside the scope of general practice.

I know. Problem with being in the UK where only the GP can make referrals, and where they only do so for those that are really sick, not those that have a problem since earliest childhood and are still going strong :(