Should I NOT be drinking protein shakes??

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As long as you're around 0.8g of protein/kg of your weight (53.34g total) - you're fine!!!

I’m at 127g of protein a day. Are you suggesting that that is too much? If so, why?

That isn't too much. Higher protein intake while restricting calories will help spare muscle loss. Doing a proper strength training program in addition will be even more beneficial for retaining muscle.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Do you do resistance training? Considering your height and weight, it sounds like toning and changing that fat into muscle is more up your alley. Yes, cardio is great for fat loss and more importantly, for your heart health. But if you do cardio a couple of times a week and replace the rest with weights/resistance training, you'll be amazed. The additional lean muscle will increase your metabolism and have you burning more calories while at rest, plus you'll look and FEEL amazing. The protein shakes are great after the lifting because they help rebuild the muscles.

When you say resistance training, what exactly are you referring to? I have a machine that is a lot like the total gym (it's the cheaper version - ultimate bodyworks by weider) and it works off of resistance. I will set that up at the new house. For now, just using body weight mostly. I also have resistance bands (somewhere in all the boxes - ugh haha hate moving!!!).

Also, not that this is very accurate, but my scale told me my body fat percentage was at 28%. If that is true, maybe it will help others with their suggestions (?)