My diet and My Period

Options
Hi girls ... It's that time of the month again :s

I have been on my diet for nearly a month ( I dropped 7 pounds!) I was rappidly approaching my first slow down, wondering if it was the a sign I was already reaching a plateau ( very possible with my low calorie intake and hard and fast goal) or if my recent cravings and hard to control hunger were getting the best of me. Well the cramps and the first sight of blood may have given me an awnser.( I had been on the pill for years, but got off of it a few months back )
My question for you guys, do you raise your calorie intake or change any other nutrients during your time off the month? I feel like it may be a good way to reset the diet a bit, but I'm also flat out hungry.

Replies

• passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Maintenance and sometimes slightly higher I make up for it rest of the month.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My concern is your "hard and fast goal" statement.

How quickly are you trying to lose. If you overdue it, try to lose more than your body is ready for (1-2 pounds a week unless you are very obese) then you will really struggle to keep it off.

Slow and steady. I know it's hard, but well worth it.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't officially change anything, but I do make sure I eat more protein (plus I crave steak at that time). I let my cravings dictate my calories, honestly. TOM is bad enough, I'm not going to make myself even crazier by telling myself I can't have something I want in the worst way. My cravings are really strong, but I usually just need a few bites to satisfy it. I typically eat at maintenance or a bit above 1-3 days out of that dreaded week, but I don't let it get to me. It'll all come off eventually.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There has been research that shows that women burn extra calories during PMS/menstruation, and the hunger is your body's way of telling you that you need to eat more to compensate for that (because evolution hasn't caught up to the recent over abundance of food available to us). Like others have said, eat at maintenance. You may actually still have a tiny deficit.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I get super hungry for a few days about a week before my TOM. During that time, I tend to eat at about maintenance, sometimes a bit more. I tend to only eat back a small portion of my exercise calories during most of the month, so everything seems to generally balance out.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

How quickly are you trying to lose. If you overdue it, try to lose more than your body is ready for (1-2 pounds a week unless you are very obese) then you will really struggle to keep it off.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing.

Me too.

Why set yourself up to fail OP?
  • goggleslyn
    goggleslyn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's not too hard and fast but it is however as hard and fast as I am comfortable with. It was 10 weeks 20 lbs. We are on week 4 and I have 12 lbs to go. It's not my final goal but it's for a trip I'm taking. I do accept I will likely only loose another 8 and I'm okay with that.