Tim Ferris Slow Carb Diet and Cheat Day

Options
Packfan92
Packfan92 Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
What is everyones opinions of the Slow Carb Diet and cheat day? I dont eat this way completely, but a majority of my meals have a meat, legume, and vegetable component, I also dont have a cheat day per say, but i usually do have a day a week where i am away from home, etc where i end up eating out and over-eating the wrong kinds of foods, not necessarily on the same day every week. Has anyone here had success with a cheat day or with Tom Ferriss’ approach?

Replies

• Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the Slow Carb Diet I just typically eat within my calories and boom that's it...no need to complicate things. In regards to a "cheat day" I will be implementing it once a week after this month, but it should be really called a "no calorie limit day" as cheating means it's bad lol

• Packfan92
    Options
    Great info! Thanks
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I "think" @Sabine_Stroehm has some experience with the slow carb woe.
  • Packfan92
    Options
    Slow Carb woe? Bad experience?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Packfan92 wrote: »
    Slow Carb woe? Bad experience?

Oh sorry, no. WOE = Way Of Eating
  • Packfan92
    Options
    Oh ok lol. I was like wow that doesnt sound good! Sorry im not up on the lingo here i guess:)
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used the slow carb diet about 5 years ago with good success for about the first 30lb or so when I hit a plateau. It is pretty much just paleo + legumes (except for the cheat day) - although many of the paleo guru types are not as anti legumes as they were a few years ago. Although I loved the cheat day I did find it hard dealing with the cravings the following day and ended up moving away from that. I think a lot of his principles are quite sound - I quite enjoy cooking so made up a lot of my own meals according to the principles rather than "eating the same thing every day" which would not have worked for me.
  • Packfan92
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for the response. I was semi following it for awhile but was a little lax on how strictly i adhered. There would be those days where i really craved something and would give in, or have a few drinks on occasion when it wasnt a cheat day. I do follow some of the same principles now, however now i am tracking calories for the first time so it will be interesting to see how it goes. And ive quit drinking so that in itself should make a difference. I have learned to love beans and lentils! And they are so good for you so for that i am glad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I "think" @Sabine_Stroehm has some experience with the slow carb woe.

Pretty sure she's said that what she does (which she named "slow carb") is not the same as Ferris's later-invented diet.
  • Packfan92
    Options
    So who is Sabine? I dont know much about how this app works. Since you tagged that person in the above comment are they alerted to this thread?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sabine is another MFP user...so when her name is tagged, she'll get a notification to come check out the thread
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    prdrivas wrote: »
    I have. I started three years ago, just before joining MFP. After losing 60 lbs, my weight has fluctuated up or down depending on activity, but for the most part, stayed in the same place. My wife has also had success with this approach, losing 40 lbs and keeping it off.

We definitely do Cheat day, maybe even a little harder than Tim would recommend (see my caveats below). We look forward to it. Basically, if I get a craving for something off the list (like pancakes), I make a note that it makes the Cheat day list and I can wait it out. We also eat out about 3 days a week and have found it very easy to adjust menu items. Overall, it's been a fantastic success.

Caveats:
    1. His exercise recommendations are a nice start, but you may want to adjust those depending on your goals.
    2. It really helps to have someone do it with you.
    3. One of the big problems I see with friends who attempt to do it and fail, is that Cheat day becomes Cheat days. And Cheat day doesn't mean waking up at 12:01 AM on Cheat day and eating until 11:59 PM. We generally do a harder workout in the morning on Cheat day, then eat at our regular meal times. I usually follow the guideline that each meal can last an hour. Once that hour's done, the meal is done. However I can pack a lot into an hour and sometimes its and hour and 15 minutes. :)
    4. Live your life. There are times, like the Holidays and vacation, that I just eat what I want, when I want. I expect my weight to go up, and it does, but it comes back in control pretty quickly once I get back into it. Again, it really all depends on your goals.
    5. I don't see any foods as "wrong" or "bad", just that I may not react well to them, so I limit them. I think that's the biggest take away I've had from taking this approach. It definitely helps develop a lifestyle, rather than being on a diet.

Let me know if your have any other questions.

Lyle McDonald talks about this. Search "Revisit Refeeds" on youtube. Cheat days doesn't mean to eat garbage it means for some people (specifically small women) you get to just increase your intake with good foods.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Packfan92 wrote: »
    So who is Sabine? I dont know much about how this app works. Since you tagged that person in the above comment are they alerted to this thread?

Check out the southbeach group. She is very active there. Also checkout the soutbeach diet. This sounds like another spin on Dr. Agaston's diet created specifically for heart patients trying to address cholesterol issues.
  • Packfan92
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, ill look into some of those resources!
  • ryank
    ryank Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've switched to Slow Carb after a year on just low carb, which was 40-50g net carbs a day. I lost 25 pounds but I ended up with very low energy and needed the cheat day to replenish glycogens, so I hit the fruit smoothies hard on cheat day and feel great.

Haven't lost any more weight yet after switching 2 months ago but my body shape is changing and I'm definitely putting on more muscle from gym 3x a week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this thread? I am "slow carb" but way way pre-tim ferriss. (not a big fan of his)

Happy to answer any questions about how I approach things!
  • ryank
    ryank Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this thread? I am "slow carb" but way way pre-tim ferriss. (not a big fan of his)

Happy to answer any questions about how I approach things!

What do you do that's different to Tim Ferriss's version? Other than not weighing your poo (I assume).