pictures of women at the high end of their bmi

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The bikini pic in my profile is 4 lbs in to overweight BMI. I'm 5'3"

That's a size 4 (occasionally a 2) and overweight.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    BMI is crap. I think I'm a 25. But I wear a size 6, so I'm not going to stress about it.

My ex husband was morbidly obese at 250, but when you look at him, he doesn't have an ounce of fat.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Dress sizes are crap, as you can be fat and still small.
    BMI is crap, because muscle is dense.
    Body fat % self measurement is wildly variant and many people are confused about retention of lean mass. Plus, different people obviously have goals differing by 15%+ body fat.

Pick your poison.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Dress sizes are crap, as you can be fat and still small.
    BMI is crap, because muscle is dense.
    Body fat % self measurement is wildly variant and many people are confused about retention of lean mass. Plus, different people obviously have goals differing by 15%+ body fat.

Pick your poison.

Basically ^^this

Plus, dress sizes are completely variable depending on the cut, your body shape and where you buy them from. I can get into a size 4 jeans in some brands, which is just silliness.
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have come to the realization that a "healthy" BMI is not an obtainable or realistic goal for myself. I'm 5'7" and weigh 195 pounds which puts my BMI at 30.5 - still considered obese. I wear a size 12 and am starting to fit into size 10's. I'd have to lose close to 40 more pounds to hit the very highest range of the BMI scale for healthy weight for my height. My goal is 20 more pounds and see where that leaves me. This could change easily because I've never dreamed of being smaller than a size 8 . . .
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    <---- BMI says I am overweight, halfway to obese. 5'3 and 150lbs, size 4/6US or 8/10UK. My goal weight is 140, which is still overweight according to BMI.

To be within the "healthy" BMI range I'd have to loss a lot of muscle. No thanks! :)
    140 for 5'3" is NOT overweight by BMI. It's at the high end of normal.

BMI for 5'3" goes from I believe 103 (18.5 -- but that might be wrong) to 141 pounds.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have come to the realization that a "healthy" BMI is not an obtainable or realistic goal for myself. I'm 5'7" and weigh 195 pounds which puts my BMI at 30.5 - still considered obese. I wear a size 12 and am starting to fit into size 10's. I'd have to lose close to 40 more pounds to hit the very highest range of the BMI scale for healthy weight for my height. My goal is 20 more pounds and see where that leaves me. This could change easily because I've never dreamed of being smaller than a size 8 . . .
    159 or 5'7" is 24.9 BMI. Anything below 25 is normal range.
  • nrbrake
    nrbrake Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can really go by BMI to gague what you will look like since it really depends on how lean you are. So many folks on here are in super athlete shape and 'overweight' or 'obese'. I think for an average person with low muscle mass (like me) - it is a good indicator. I am also a (curvy) 5'5" and started MFP at the top end of healthy at 146 lbs. At that weight I was in a size 6/8 pants but my face was puffy, my normally trim waist was flabby, my boobs went to a 36DD and my legs were chubby and my hips was getting wide. At at 20 BMI I am 125 lbs, a small size 4, my face has contours, my belly is flat, my boobs are a full 34C and my legs are medium size (I never have thin legs) and my hips loose that buldge. All that said, most people (boyfriend included) say I look good in that range of 125-146 (20-24 BMI) but I just like the way I fit in clothes at the lower end. Sorry no pics but hopefully that gives some perspective. Good luck.

THANK YOU! This is what I'm getting at. I don't have a ton of muscle therefore, I am not like those that are lifting heavy to build muscle and such. Again, thank you!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I am. My BMI is 24ish, sometimes above 25 if I'm retaining water for whatever reason and I go up a few pounds. I'm 5'10.5 or so.

ddbe5b6c-69dc-4d80-b3ba-632cfcf5ebf1_zps4ffb186f.jpg

More photos are in my profile and blog.
  • jwdieter
    Options

The problem with BMI-bashing is it can discourage people from trying to achieve something reasonable. 5'7 155 isn't exactly pushing a low body fat envelope for most women.

Dropping 20 pounds and re-assessing is a good strategy and healthy approach.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I am about 5lb overweight in my profile picture.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can really go by BMI to gague what you will look like since it really depends on how lean you are. So many folks on here are in super athlete shape and 'overweight' or 'obese'. I think for an average person with low muscle mass (like me) - it is a good indicator. I am also a (curvy) 5'5" and started MFP at the top end of healthy at 146 lbs. At that weight I was in a size 6/8 pants but my face was puffy, my normally trim waist was flabby, my boobs went to a 36DD and my legs were chubby and my hips was getting wide. At at 20 BMI I am 125 lbs, a small size 4, my face has contours, my belly is flat, my boobs are a full 34C and my legs are medium size (I never have thin legs) and my hips loose that buldge. All that said, most people (boyfriend included) say I look good in that range of 125-146 (20-24 BMI) but I just like the way I fit in clothes at the lower end. Sorry no pics but hopefully that gives some perspective. Good luck.

THANK YOU! This is what I'm getting at. I don't have a ton of muscle therefore, I am not like those that are lifting heavy to build muscle and such. Again, thank you!

I believe you can look at my photos, not completely sure though. You can see my starting point in the blue sports bra. My BMI from that point until now is only -1 point on the BMI scale. Still puts in me on the high overweight section. Change in weight is only 5 pounds. This is why BMI is not a good scale to use.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

The problem with BMI-bashing is it can discourage people from trying to achieve something reasonable. 5'7 155 isn't exactly pushing a low body fat envelope for most women.

Dropping 20 pounds and re-assessing is a good strategy and healthy approach.

Just to clarify, are you saying that discrediting BMI leads to women choosing to high of a goal weight? Like, If I'm 225 lbs to start, and I see that a woman can be healthy at 150 (even though the BMI is still "overweight") that I might choose 150 as my goal weight and that would be bad because I might still have considerable bodyfat to lose at 150?

I kind of think that's not what realistically happens. Rarely do I ever see someone on here who gets to their goal weight, still has fat to lose, and just decides that's good enough. Usually at that point the person will reassess if they need a second goal weight at that point. But, for the most part If I go from 225 to 150 that's a MAJOR beneficial change, and worrying about the difference between 130 and 150 is moot when you're at 225.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    Just to clarify, are you saying that discrediting BMI leads to women choosing to high of a goal weight? Like, If I'm 225 lbs to start, and I see that a woman can be healthy at 150 (even though the BMI is still "overweight") that I might choose 150 as my goal weight and that would be bad because I might still have considerable bodyfat to lose at 150?

I kind of think that's not what realistically happens. Rarely do I ever see someone on here who gets to their goal weight, still has fat to lose, and just decides that's good enough. Usually at that point the person will reassess if they need a second goal weight at that point. But, for the most part If I go from 225 to 150 that's a MAJOR beneficial change, and worrying about the difference between 130 and 150 is moot when you're at 225.

I see a whole lot of people like the women I quoted, who think a normal BMI is unreasonable or unachievable. A bunch of guys who have guts hanging out who think the same way. Discrediting BMI acts as support for the visual status quo - where "normal" has quite a lot of body fat.

I think bashing BMI acts as a deterrent/reinforcement to people who would benefit from losing weight, but may not be able to envision the weight loss.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm still 8 pounds into "overweight" on a BMI chart in my profile pic.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and currently somewhere between 150-152 I think. I am always considered overweight with my BMI. It's a terrible tool to use - body fat % is much better.

and you are a lean mean muscle machine, looking really good!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and 150 lbs high end bmi, you can take a look at my profile pics.I think the most important thing to look at is how do you feel and r u healthier and happier then you were.would you be even healthier and happier if you lost a bit more do what makes you feel good
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I see a whole lot of people like the women I quoted, who think a normal BMI is unreasonable or unachievable. A bunch of guys who have guts hanging out who think the same way. Discrediting BMI acts as support for the visual status quo - where "normal" has quite a lot of body fat.

I think bashing BMI acts as a deterrent/reinforcement to people who would benefit from losing weight, but may not be able to envision the weight loss.

I get what you're saying. I disagree, but I see your point.
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    3RUBe.PNG

BMI 25.6

BF% about 34% (pretty high)
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I agree that there are plenty of people out there (I've done it myself in the past) who rationalize being overweight.

But I think the bottom line is that if you don't want to change, you can come up with a million reasons not to change. It doesn't matter what a BMI chart says or what other people look like or anything else. We can get remarkably good at not looking at ourselves in the mirror and avoiding cameras and explaining why we CAN'T lose weight. Body dysmorphia works both ways though - and if you're constantly telling people who have big frames and a lot of muscle that they are "overweight", they see fat where there isn't any that should be lost.

The bottom line is that a BMI chart is based on averages. We're not all average. If I measure the width of my hip and shoulder bones alone - not circumference but width of my skeletal structure, I still wouldn't be able to fit my actual skeleton in a lot of small size women's clothes. Those little sizes are made for someone, but it's not me.

If you're looking at a BMI chart and wondering if you're being delusional or not, go talk to your doctor. Get an objective outside opinion from someone who will look at your overall health. Friends are more likely to tell you you look fine, a personal trainer or the like is going to want to sell you their services and tell you how they can transform you into a fitness model... but I think ultimately it comes down to health. Get your bodyfat checked, get an unbiased second opinion, something like that. Don't waste your time worrying about a BMI chart unless you feel your skeletal structure and musculature is actually average.