outdoor winter cycling

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I had a cheap mountain bike for my winter cycling when I lived in Canada.

1521156291_1bc0d68f5e_o.jpg
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I decided to plan a trip to Tucson (I've got family there, and more importantly, a bike)...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I decided to plan a trip to Tucson (I've got family there, and more importantly, a bike)...

the mornings are still cold. ( thirties or forties ) so wear those arm warmers and layer up!

.... be safe out there.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I just got a new bike at Christmas. Here in NJ, we've had a mix of frigid/winter weather and some warmer days. Other than a couple of trips around the neighborhood to get familiar with the bike, I've been bringing it over to one of several parks with paved, shared-use trails, a couple of days after each of the most recent snows have melted back. They don't salt or sand the trails, and they're pretty free of winter grit. By staying on the paved trails, I'm also not picking up general dirt/gravel/etc.

I'm also lucky enough to be close to some ocean boardwalks; just like the trails, they are pretty free of salt/sand/grit. They have varying use restrictions on bikes.

Once the spring arrives and I can turn my outside hoses on again to wash the bike, I'll change my destinations a bit. I'm with you, I don't want to rot away the new bike with road salt in the meantime.

In the meantime, there's also the gym bike indoors ...