2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    Example:
    MFP estimates my BMR to be 1371.
    For Sedentary activity level I should burn about 1710 a day.
    To lose 1 lb per week -500.
    Goal without exercise to lose 1 lb per week 1210.

Let's say I burn 300 through exercise.

1710+300 = 2010
    2010-500 = 1510
    With an exercise burn of 300, I should eat 1510 to lose 1 lb per week.

I don't agree with this at all, unless you are wearing a heart monitor, and getting perfect calorie burn. Don't trust what apps tell you. I would would add 50 - 60% of that back, or just stick with 1210.

Except HR is about the worst possible way to estimate caloric burn.

I was going to say the same thing.

And calories for certain things can be pretty well estimated. I ate back all my calories from medium and short runs, for example.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    :lol: how does that flowchart get a "woo"? :neutral:

A full 2/3 of my posts since the first of the month have been woo'd. Someone out there clearly wants me to sit down and stop giving advice, but I take them as a sign to keep going, even if it's just to annoy the people who are downvoting me.

Either that or you've got the portion of people who misunderstand the woo button trying to give you a positive high five in the wrong way. :D
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »

A full 2/3 of my posts since the first of the month have been woo'd. Someone out there clearly wants me to sit down and stop giving advice, but I take them as a sign to keep going, even if it's just to annoy the people who are downvoting me.

Either that or you've got the portion of people who misunderstand the woo button trying to give you a positive high five in the wrong way. :D

Pika!!!

giphy.gif
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

I almost did that. I've been away so long the Woo button wasn't even here when I left. Took me a second to realize that it was meant to indicate that kind of woo and not celebratory woo.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Pika!!!

giphy.gif
    epic-hugs-friends-LOTR.gif

• Charliegirl1974
    Charliegirl1974 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Aw, you guys are great!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Argh, I maybe didn’t make myself clear!
    I usually eat about 1800-2000 calories a day, (by bad calories I just meant crap!) and of course I know it’s fuel. I want to just streamline, get a bit trimmer, and that’s why I thought I’d use MFP to keep account. I have a mega healthy veggie diet but like everyone I am prone to a little ‘sin’, mine being the odd glass of wine.
    I did my BMR and it calculated I needed to take away 500 to set my calorie goal, so I’m looking at 1500. To be honest, I know I just need to cut out the wine, (and the cheese in such quantities!) and maybe do more squats! But MFP is great to keep you on track!
    I just wondered if I need to eat more once the exercise is done to shift the odd pound or two...

You take calories from your TDEE not BMR

and

AnvilHead wrote: »
    Also, just for the record, I’ve never counted a calorie in my life! I’ve always gone by eating clean, eat bright coloured veg, exercise, and don’t beat yourself up about it! All things in moderation. Only thing is, I want abs NOW!!

Abs don't happen "NOW!!". They happen over time, by eating at a reasonable calorie deficit and losing the fat covering them. There's nothing about the process that's fast - and if you want shredded, defined abs there's nothing about it that's easy either.

Quoting for repetition, so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.