Scary Skinny Celebrities

Options
Came across an article titled "Hunger Games" referring to ultra skinny celebrities. I don't agree with body shaming anyone; skinny, fat, curvy, muscular, etc. You are what you are in my opinion!

Anyways, what do you guys think of this article? I think it is really shameful to create an entire slideshow titled "The Hunger Games" and aim it at "too thin" celebrities. Body shaming people in the spot light will never stop...

Just curious of course...

Here is the article/slideshow:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/hunger-games-skinny-stars-hungry-gallery-1.1049008

Replies

• FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Damned if your too skinny damned if your to fat when it comes to the media
  • beepermad
    beepermad Posts: 198
    Options
    I think Keira Knightley looks awesome, but I also think her body is built that way. Truth of the matter is that the article is just aimed at getting your attention. The media as one entity is never happy with anyone's body.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Everyone is judged 24/7 about how they look/ who they are/ what they do/ how they eat.
    Its sad that there are people in the world like this, what has our world come to?
    PEOPLE LOVE YOURSELF SO THAT OTHERS CAN LOVE YOU ! NO ONE IS PERFECT.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    The thing is, celebrities aren't every day people. They are paid to look the way they do. The public demands this.

Sure, some of those women (and man) look a little too thin, but bad angles, naturally petite, upcoming roles/catwalk shows really aren't taken into consideration.

Where's the slideshow for the celebrities who have let themselves go and gotten too fat? You'll never see it. It's not ok to do this to thin people!!!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    whoever wrote that article doesn't understand what athletic women look like at a low body fat %.

Granted not all those fit that category, but Lea Ann Rhimes and Renee Zelwegger do (as pictured in the article).

Exceptionally low body fat %'s are not entirely "healthy" either though due to the stress on your body to maintain them, but there's a big differencei in a "trained" low body fat % and someone who just doesn't eat.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What a horribly b*tchy article.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Where's the slideshow for the celebrities who have let themselves go and gotten too fat? You'll never see it. It's not ok to do this to thin people!!!

You'll never see it?! Have you been to a supermarket checkout lately? I think Kirstie Alley, Oprah, Jessica Simpson and others who are scrutinized for their weight would disagree that you never see it.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    They dog them when they are fat and they hate on them when they are skinny.

Give it a rest, seriously. They are paid to do a job, just like everyone else. They enjoy their bodies and health just like everyone else.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I find these types of articles so interesting.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

You'll never see it?! Have you been to a supermarket checkout lately? I think Kirstie Alley, Oprah, Jessica Simpson and others who are scrutinized for their weight would disagree that you never see it.

I don't pay attention to the crap at the checkouts.

My point was (and still is, no matter how many rebuttals you give) that it is NOT ok to call out people for being too fat OR too thin. People tend to forget that "holy **** you're skinny" isn't a compliment.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Where's the slideshow for the celebrities who have let themselves go and gotten too fat? You'll never see it.

I see fat shaming in the media waaay more often than thin shaming
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options

basically. they will nitpick and attack any body, frankly. glad i'm not famous!!!
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    These articles are an odd one. It's interesting that people point at these and say 'hey look! skinny is shamed as well' But in my opinion these articles are just a framing device to show a body type that people still want to attain, but without the social stigma for the media outlet of supporting 'unhealthy' body types.

To me this just screams 'Look! Skinny women! WE still know you want to be skinny! Look!!"

That could just be me though
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

I don't pay attention to the crap at the checkouts.

My point was (and still is, no matter how many rebuttals you give) that it is NOT ok to call out people for being too fat OR too thin. People tend to forget that "holy **** you're skinny" isn't a compliment.

I wasn't rebutting anything. I'm saying both happen, not that either are right.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    These articles are an odd one. It's interesting that people point at these and say 'hey look! skinny is shamed as well' But in my opinion these articles are just a framing device to show a body type that people still want to attain, but without the social stigma for the media outlet of supporting 'unhealthy' body types.

To me this just screams 'Look! Skinny women! WE still know you want to be skinny! Look!!"

I think it's just you since the whole article makes them out to be disgusting , scary, ect.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

basically. they will nitpick and attack any body, frankly. glad i'm not famous!!!

Yep. There's about a 3 pound window where you're not too skinny and not too fat by the media's standards.

I remember seeing the Olson twins talking about tabloids once, saying, "They say one of us is fat and the other is anorexic. We don't know which of us is which."
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I love how the fit people with low body fat % and/or the ones with great arms are automatically "scary". Psha...
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options

I do agree with this a little bit. These articles are put up for a reason obviously. I think it is a combination of body shaming women who are too thin while still advertising that super skinny look. Still don't think either is right though.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Some of those girls looked just fine (ie. Renee Zelweger, for example).. Of course, some of them DID look scarily thin. Ladies, when we can see every rib you have-- it's time to eat a cheeseburger or five.

I HATE when people say someone else should eat a cheeseburger. I've been told that before, as I was actively trying to gain HEALTHY weight. It's repulsive.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Joanna Sloame is a pretty judgemental , uhm, person, isn't she ??? I mean damn ... give it a rest ......