Macros Issue

Options
I’ve recently started a strength training program and after calculating my TDEE, my recommended KCAL intake is 1987kcal per day, aiming to loose 1lbs per week, I’m on a cut.

My macros are: carbs 145g, protein 191g, fat 65g

I find everyday I am just about hitting my calorie limit and going just slightly over carbs and protein but really struggling with fat! Any tips? I was thinking of adding extra virgin olive oil to my shakes or having flora spread on bread

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, avocado, oils, dairy, margarine, butter, etc can all be great sources of fats.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your macros is the macro split you decide for yourself. 40% protein is pretty unbalanced and is going to be difficult to make into meals you want to eat. Why did you pick that split? If you set your macros more moderately, you can eat normal food and food you like, without the hassle.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Your macros is the macro split you decide for yourself. 40% protein is pretty unbalanced and is going to be difficult to make into meals you want to eat. Why did you pick that split? If you set your macros more moderately, you can eat normal food and food you like, without the hassle.

Depending on his height/weight and overall goals - 40% protein isn't that unbalanced.

ETA: Mostly what BecomingBane said - especially avocado, oils and butter. Maybe you could include some into what you cook for certain meals?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep my own split around 40% protein or more. I think of protein as a minimum, not a max. As long as it's not interfering with my other macros, fat being more important than carbs to me depending on the day and my activity load.
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ribeyes and other cuts of meat that have higher fat content - protein and good ol' animal fat in one delicious package. Fish can also be higher in healthy fats, depending on the type.

Agreed on avocados . . .also, any nut-butters (peanut, sunflower, almond, etc). Whole nuts also tend to be higher in healthy fat content.

• jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I’m not a fan of avocados or nuts, I have skimmed milk but should maybe move to fill fat and eat more spread/oilive oil?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cheese. Full fat Greek yogurt. Eggs. Beef. Butter.

That's a lot of protein. How come?
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! I’m not a fan of avocados or nuts, I have skimmed milk but should maybe move to fill fat and eat more spread/oilive oil?

In regards to the milk - couldn't hurt. But honestly, go with what you prefer taste wise. Whether it be 1%, 2%, full fat, etc. Because if you don't like the texture of full fat, you might end up not drinking it/using it at all.

Are you opposed to regular butter? My go to is Kerrygold butter because of the taste and quality. If not, using that would be a really easy way to up that fat macro.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Oreos. Definitely oreos.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Full Fat dairy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »

Definitely have full fat milk and other dairy
  • jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The protein is so high just based on some advice I read. I’m 13 stone 7lbs, and aimed for 1g or Protein per lb of body weight, but just decided to uo it a bit more because I eat more protein generally