How active am I?

Options
If I walk around 10-15 thousand steps everyday, am I lightly active or active?

Replies

• jessiemax76
    jessiemax76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would think active.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You would be active.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    What do you do when you aren't walking those steps?

For example, I run 3-4 times per week, and I strength train twice a week. But when I'm not doing that, I have a pretty sedentary job, so I count myself as sedentary and then log my exercise separately. I like that approach because I don't have to guess at what all those activity levels mean.

You can set your activity to sedentary and log all activities, or you could estimate your activity level based on the word pictures but don't set it higher if you log or you'll risk double counting.

Either way just serves as a starting point and you always need to monitor and adjust.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I just synced my fitbit to mfp and set myself to sedentary. Then it gives me back exercise calories daily based on my activity for the day.

However, in answer to your question, that would be active.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

Your MFP activity level is nothing to do with this modern obsession with steps. It actually relates to your regular type of work and daily routine. Here's what the Settings page looks like.

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Your MFP activity level is nothing to do with this modern obsession with steps. It actually relates to your regular type of work and daily routine. Here's what the Settings page looks like.

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

MFP is using anything unique, these are fairly standard level descriptors, which were devised long before it was common for people to wandered around with pedometers. Steps are a good indicator of activity level since those who are more active tend to take more steps.