Obesity never felt so good ;)

Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    its probably all that old poop being passed over by the new poop
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Lol, nice work :). I'm obese according to by gym's bf% scale! Ohwell.. :ohwell:

That must be the worlds worst scale, then.

Don't know about that but it says I have 26,5% bf and according to the chart on the wall in my gym, women above 25% bf are considered obese. :noway:

Well that is untrue, this isn't the most ACCURATE picture in the world at all, but a slight example..

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

No worries, I stopped trusting the scale a long time ago :tongue:. I just go by what I see in the mirror. Much more accurate :wink:. :flowerforyou:
  • actingnurse1
    actingnurse1 Posts: 153 Member
    I hear ya. I'm slim but still "overweight" yeah.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Bmi: 31.3

I'm officially obese.

Just showing you how beneficial and accurate the bmi scale is!

Shut up fatty Mcfatfat. Lay off the fast food.
  • its probably all that old poop being passed over by the new poop

Lol @that strong logic
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Don't know about that but it says I have 26,5% bf and according to the chart on the wall in my gym, women above 25% bf are considered obese. :noway:

I just got my results back from the doctor, and my form has what's considered obese >25% is obese, but only for men. >35% is obese for women. You're hovering between average and above average (whatever the hell that means).
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    When I came to MFP I had the opposite problem. My BMI was 24 but my body fat percentage was 29-30% (according to calipers).

To the OP, do you have issues with insurance rates due to your BMI? I've known other body builders who had to fight to get a lower insurance rate due to the BMI scale listing them as obese.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    I'm an extreme outlier so LOLOLOLOLOL a methodology that fits most people is horribly wrong and useless!

If your BMI is "obese", you're in great shape!
  • When I came to MFP I had the opposite problem. My BMI was 24 but my body fat percentage was 29-30% (according to calipers).

To the OP, do you have issues with insurance rates due to your BMI? I've known other body builders who had to fight to get a lower insurance rate due to the BMI scale listing them as obese.

I haven't personally come across this, but it's definitely an issue. Sometimes the cutoff is even as low as 25, which is quite unfair.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Bmi: 31.3

I'm officially obese.

Just showing you how beneficial and accurate the bmi scale is!

In your case obesity is a very good thing!

I've determined that, when I meet my fitness goals, I'll be considered "overweight" according to BMI charts. I have no desire to become skinny-fat to meet a number that is meaningless.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    OP, excellent work!

Wow, that is crazy!! First of all, 32% and above is obese - hell some sources say 35%. At 26.5%, you're average/healthy

Check out the charts in the link below...much more accurate!

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • jwdieter
    Few examples of Olympic medalist sprinters (all accused of doping), who are in "normal" BMI range:

167941-asafa-powell.jpg

article-2182527-1435EE9E000005DC-545_634x392.jpg

868753_I8LG5HP2QIE2ZAL38ZJ3W7GXO3LIE2_9-yohan-blake_H123333_L.jpg

Women...

espnw_bodyissue_06b.jpg

shelly-ann-fraser-pryce2.jpg

Being athletic or muscular does not mean you must be BMI overweight or obese.

Decathlon world record holder, also normal BMI:

Ashton-Eaton-01.jpg

• Being athletic or muscular does not mean you must be BMI overweight or obese.

Yes, being athletic and muscular means you must have an overweight BMI..

Said no one ever.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Few examples of Olympic medalist sprinters (all accused of doping), who are in "normal" BMI range:

167941-asafa-powell.jpg

article-2182527-1435EE9E000005DC-545_634x392.jpg

868753_I8LG5HP2QIE2ZAL38ZJ3W7GXO3LIE2_9-yohan-blake_H123333_L.jpg

Women...

espnw_bodyissue_06b.jpg

shelly-ann-fraser-pryce2.jpg

Decathlon world record holder, also normal BMI:

Ashton-Eaton-01.jpg

Errr...he was just showing how BMI is not always a good factor in determining health or fitness, particularly when you have muscle. No one is saying you need an overweight bmi to be athletic, I think that's obvious.

Good work on amassing all of those pictures, though-you have a lot of patience :laugh:
  • jwdieter

Said no one ever.

See willdob's post a couple up. A LOT of people think BMI overweight is their objective. Because there are a lot more posts like yours than there are about BMI normal athletes.

• Being athletic or muscular does not mean you must be BMI overweight or obese.

Said no one ever.

See willdob's post a couple up. A LOT of people think BMI overweight is their objective. Because there are a lot more posts like yours than there are about BMI normal athletes.

Well bodyfat % is more important to me than BMI...I never started out with the intention of an overweight BMI.

No one is against your point here-so no need to defend it.
  • jwdieter
    Errr...he was just showing how BMI is not always a good factor in determining health or fitness, particularly when you have muscle. No one is saying you need an overweight bmi to be athletic, I think that's obvious.

Good work on amassing all of those pictures, though-you have a lot of patience :laugh:

Amassing the pictures is easy. Nearly every elite track athlete is BMI normal. Switch over to football players and you can get a bunch of "obese LOL BMI sux" in a hurry.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member

Amassing the pictures is easy. Nearly every elite track athlete is BMI normal. Switch over to football players and you can get a bunch of "obese LOL BMI sux" in a hurry.

Way to generalize. No one was even talking about athletes here.

I sense bitterness.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    good to know, and while I am actually obese, no doubt about that, I know when I kick up the exercise I need to use the measuring tape not the scale or the BMI (or any other for that matter) charts
  • jwdieter
    Way to generalize. No one was even talking about athletes here.

I sense bitterness.

Bitterness? The only way you can be low bodyfat and high BMI is through muscle mass. However, there's a huge misconception on these forums about that relationship. It takes a lot of muscle to be both low body fat and high BMI. People can look (and be) very muscular and normal BMI.