HALT (for my emotional eaters peeps)

Options
So yesterday I was at my therapy appointment and was telling her how I am struggling right now with wanting to eat for no reason (no reason meaning not hungry) and how I am really having to fight it. It scares me that I'm having these thoughts at all. Anyway, she told me about the acronym HALT to use when I'm feeling like I want to raid the cupboard...

Don't let yourself get too:

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
or
Tired

Just thought I would pass this tidbit along in hopes that it might help someone who is struggling. Keep up the good fight!

Replies

• morgan18ferry
    Options
    Wow. Such a simple thing, but those are my times for "binge" eating, especially Lonely! If I get bored, and I am at home by myself...I will bash on whatever we have. Thanks for the acronym, maybe I will post in on my fridge :)
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Good advice, sometimes if i skip a meal or literally forget to eat then that's the time I'm more likely to cave and go nuts on a binge.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'll call it BLATH

Bored
    Lonely
    Angry
    Tired
    Hungry
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'll call it BLATH

Bored
    Lonely
    Angry
    Tired
    Hungry

This is a good one too- bored is definitely a trigger for me!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would add an extra A for myself - Anxious. But it's a good acronym and good advice!
  • JillianPMehlhaff
    JillianPMehlhaff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great Advice! I find that my biggest triggers are definitely hungry and tired.
  • Lynzigzagzay
    Lynzigzagzay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good idea. Now, just to work on avoiding those feelings!
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Same warnings are used for addicts and alcoholics - seems the triggers are the same no matter the substance. And yes, food is a substance when abused. for me anyway.