Anyone have a recovery drink they like (for endurance sports)

Options
I’ve been having Hammer nutrition Recoverite for a few years now after most of my swim/bike/run workouts. It seems to help me feel better later in the day and have a better workout the next day, although it’s not the tastiest thing and I’m wondering if there’s some new thinking in recovery drinks. Anyone have something they really like for recovery after endurance-type workouts?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Most of my training sessions just fit in my normal eating routine.
    It's only after a very long training ride or event that I do anything "special".

And that's based around re-hydration (milk is excellent) and food with a rough ratio of 4:1 carbs to protein and a nod towards electrolytes. Tuna pasta for example.

If there's no food available at the end of an event I'll have a protein milkshake, carby snacks or food and water in my car.
  • RunnerElken37
    RunnerElken37 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink coconut water after my workouts, It has lots of potassium for repairing muscles. After a marathon I always drink chocolate milk.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use Science in Sport stuff - Rego shake or Whey20 (which is like a Yogurt in a gel packet). Both are packed with recovery goodness and are about 180cals for Rego and 90 for Whey20. They also do protein bars which are a good snack if you're low vs your protein goal or need an extra protein hit the day after a big session.

Love the strawberry Rego and caramel Whey20.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Fairlife chocolate milk
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    I usually crave fruit juice after my long distance rides.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Another vote for fairlife chocolate milk. When doing multi hour sessions, I also take in fuel during the ride and/or run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Our tri club has a tradition of supplying members with chocolate milk after races (the science is still a little sketchy but it's delicious) typically I'll just drink water and eat a banana after working out. Hydrates & replenished electrolytes. Personally I think that most of the sports/recovery drinks are overhyped & overpriced.
  • aimingforjoy
    aimingforjoy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific drink for after events. I do swear by Tailwind during long events though.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Our tri club has a tradition of supplying members with chocolate milk after races (the science is still a little sketchy but it's delicious) typically I'll just drink water and eat a banana after working out. Hydrates & replenished electrolytes. Personally I think that most of the sports/recovery drinks are overhyped & overpriced.

Yeah, Chocolate milk/lite beer are supposed to be good, but the science isn't fully developed.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Chocolate milk/lite beer are supposed to be good, but the science isn't fully developed.

Which is why I intend to do more extensive testing this season. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Most of my training sessions just fit in my normal eating routine.
    It's only after a very long training ride or event that I do anything "special".

And that's based around re-hydration (milk is excellent) and food with a rough ratio of 4:1 carbs to protein and a nod towards electrolytes. Tuna pasta for example.

If there's no food available at the end of an event I'll have a protein milkshake, carby snacks or food and water in my car.

OMG, that's hilarious...that's what I usually have after a full day on the slopes...tuna and noodles...

As to the OP...my longest rides these days are about 25-30 miles so I don't really need anything special outside of my normal diet...but I might treat myself to a chocolate milk after a 1/4 century. Most of my fitness rides are in the realm of about 20K...usually have an Amstel Light afterwards...don't know what it does for recovery, but there's nothing like a cold beer after a ride...just nothing heavy.
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Big fan of hydrogen dioxide here. The best chemical compound for post-workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Often the races I do hand you a 500ml bottle of beer or cider along with the medal.

The 20 mile aid station also has beer, cider, vodka or rum. Hot mulled cider made all the difference in December at 22 miles with another 7 to go.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Wow... I'm picking the wrong races!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a hydration mix or post workout supplement?

Post workout I use the 1st Phorm Phormula1+Ignition combo, been very happy with it.

As for hydration, I haven't found anything that competes with Skratch Labs - noticeable physical difference in how I feel. It's a must on race weekend for me, but I use one one scoop of the regular sport hydration mix in my water bottle each day as well (water bottle is pretty big, so it's close to a half serving).
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Trail marathons and ultras :)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    mikeb4bjj wrote: »

HO2? I'm not sure that's even possible...
  • jjpptt2
    Options

Ah. OK, I'll just buy my own beer then, lol.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mikeb4bjj wrote: »

HO2? I'm not sure that's even possible...

We're all pretty sure that he meant Dihydrogen Monoxide.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Ah. OK, I'll just buy my own beer then, lol.

It's a lot of effort just for a beer.