Build an appetite

I'm trying to build my appetite back up. Any advice on how to do this when I never feel hungry

Replies

• PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    You could focus on incorporating more calorie dense foods that may make things easier to reach your calorie goals. Not sure how you're eating now, but if you tend to aim for low fat or low carb (or other diet type foods like that) - avoid them.

Maybe use more butters (dairy or/and nut butters) and olive oil in your cooking. Include pasta, rice, breads, etc. Maybe throw in a serving or two of ice cream now and again.

Try to figure out if smaller meals might help or if you are doing smaller meals, maybe see if falling back to 3 or 4 larger meals (versus the 4-6 small ones) would help you better.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Are there certain foods that do really appeal despite loss of appetite? If so have those.
    It's hard to think of eating when appetite fails but your body needs the fuel so tuck into calorie dense foods.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Have you been dieting or ill or had an eating disorder? What did you like to eat before? Eat more of that. Eat regularly, eat small meals, but often. Eat a variety of foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    There are prescription appetite enhancers that work pretty well. Can you talk to your doctor about it?

Depending on where you live and what is legal, marijuana is also known to increase appetite.
  • hotskytrotsky
    hotskytrotsky Posts: 14 Member
    When I know I need to eat or have signs like dizziness and fatigue but no appetite, I just try to go for whatever sounds the most appealing, even if it isn't what I would usually consider "healthy" or in line with my eating goals. For example, when I'm recovering from being sick, I often crave very salty things and simple carbs so I let myself eat those things. This is something I've learned from caring for a relative who has cancer. Sometimes you just need some calories in your system.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Schedule your meals and follow through.

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I've found that increasing calories by small increments is more mental than pysiological. It really doesn't take hunger to add, say, a snack of a protein cookie, in the middle of the day between meals. I'd start with that.