Help with marinaded chicken nutrition

Options
Last night we had a dinner that used a recipe that we have often used, but I've never looked at the nutrition info on it. It's a grilled chicken skewer with pineapple and red pepper. My question is this: when I look at the calories in the nutrition info, it is AMAZINGLY high - 350 or so calories a serving. It's just chicken! There is a marinade for it though, so I'm wondering if the nutrition calculations are adding in ALL of the marinade as if you actually eat it all instead of just letting the chicken soak up some of it. Is this possible? Is there any way to figure out how much the marinade actually contributes. I mean, it's not like we take the chicken out of the marinade and drink the liquid or anything. We throw it away.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It might be considering all of the marinade. I usually just count it because I'm one of those overestimating people, but what you could do is weigh the marinade, marinate the chicken, and then weigh the marinade again and count only the difference.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You could measure the marinade by volume before and after soaking. It'll still be an estimate and not as accurate as weighing, but it'll help.
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks gu;ys - next time we make it I'll try one of these approaches.