Multiple selections for food items

Options
So I have been doing some research and specifically this morning I found that the wawa egg and bacon bowl has the searchable info that says one thing and then there is the store lookup info that is totally different. But wait there is more if you go on the wawa website for nutritional facts that one is also way different. From 200-470 calories and the macros are pretty off. How do you all handle situations like this. I know in the end its not a huge deal as I focus more on macros than calories but the OCD in me has a hard time.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    It's really hard for restaurants and convenience food places to make things exactly the same every time. There's going to be discrepancy anyway between reported info and how much it actually is. Generally if I am really trying to tighten up accuracy I won't eat anything I didn't make myself. If I'm not super worried then I pick something towards the higher end of the range.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    If you don't see an item with correct info, enter a new one. Then it will be in your "MY FOODS."
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Choose the entry that matches what’s on their website. The database is largely user created and can be wildly inaccurate. And I’m assuming Wawa has different ways you can customize the bowls and that would be the difference (I’m nowhere near where there’s a Wawa).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1) MFP's database is user-sourced, so there are a lot of inaccurate/junk entries. If you know, or have a rough idea, of the calorie/macro values of an item, you may need to search through multiple entries to find one that's correct. If you can't find one, you can always create your own using the company's information.

2) If you're trying to lose weight, calories should be your primary focus as calories, not macros, are what determine whether you gain or lose weight. Personally, the only macro I concern myself with is adequate protein intake - I let fats and carbs fall where they fall.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    I would use the one from the wawa website.

Just be aware that all prepared foods are estimates. You won't satisfy your perfectionist bent with food logging. :lol: It isn't a perfect process. The good news is it doesn't need to be. Do your best and move on.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    In this situation I'd probably go with the website. In other situations where I haven't been able to find a clear answer I usually pick an entry that's on the higher end of the range, if not the highest (unless the highest entry is clearly wrong). I figure I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.

Ultimately I think it depends on what your goals are. If your goal is weight loss or maintenance, go for the higher entry. If your goal is gaining, pick a lower entry.
  • zachanidas
    zachanidas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1) MFP's database is user-sourced, so there are a lot of inaccurate/junk entries. If you know, or have a rough idea, of the calorie/macro values of an item, you may need to search through multiple entries to find one that's correct. If you can't find one, you can always create your own using the company's information.

2) If you're trying to lose weight, calories should be your primary focus as calories, not macros, are what determine whether you gain or lose weight. Personally, the only macro I concern myself with is adequate protein intake - I let fats and carbs fall where they fall.

I adjust my macros to my caloric goal. I usually do well and stay at or below my goal cals and macros are pretty good.