Shin splints

Options
I seem to have developed shin splints.
I typically walk 5-7 miles per day at about 3.8-4 miles per hour on either the high school track or treadmill and typically log close to 20k steps per day.
I also do Jazzercise 2x weekly and lift light weights a couple of times per week.
I am a 60 year old female, 160 lbs, 5'6", maintaining a 90 lb weight loss for 3 years now.
What are your suggestions to aid in healing it? ice? rest? slower & less walking? ibuprophen?
My shoes are have a lot of miles on them, could that be the cause?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Replies

• xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Roll foam. And yes, bad shoes can definitely be a contributor.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Most shoes start losing support after a few hundred miles. That also depends on what brand shoe you have as well. I will usually retire mine around 300 miles or so.
    Shin splints take time to heal. There’s really no magic potion for them once you have them. Rest your legs
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, better support and perhaps custom orthotics could help as well. Stretching and strengthening the muscles will also help prevent the shin splint.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Have you by chance upped the incline on the treadmill? In the springtime when I tend to re-start walking outdoors for exercise, long uphill treks bring on minor shin splints so I opt for a more level route for a few days.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did raise it a bit in the last couple of weeks. I've been reading up on shin splints, sounds like it's going to be a long recovery. I guess I can focus more on weights, do you think using an elliptical would be ok?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did raise it a bit in the last couple of weeks. I've been reading up on shin splints, sounds like it's going to be a long recovery. I guess I can focus more on weights, do you think using an elliptical would be ok?

When I was dealing with shin splints it never gave me any issues. The only problem I had was it tends to cut of the circulation to my feet and that's uncomfortable, but not everyone has these issues.