Gained 7 Pounds on TOM

Options
Hiya, I gained 7 pounds on my TOM last week. Now that my TOM is done, the weight still hasn’t gone away :(. I’ve been eating under maintenance for awhile so I know it couldn’t be “real” weight gain. Is this just water weight? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What have your salt intake and exercise load been like lately? Also, do you have any injuries?
  • tsims25
    tsims25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @orphia My salt intake has been low and I work out 5 days a week. Also, no injuries.
  • Shortstack1975
    Shortstack1975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a new member since 4 days ago. Trying to lose weight and learn the lingo. What is TOM?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a new member since 4 days ago. Trying to lose weight and learn the lingo. What is TOM?

Time of the month.
  • Joysaz
    Joysaz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the TOM weight fluctuations. I think that if you are closely tracking and still working out... well it is either water weight, or maybe you are gaining muscle. Scales are evil. How are the clothes fitting?
  • GothicsDarkAngel
    GothicsDarkAngel Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I can fluctuate up 9 lbs during my period. AND it can take two weeks to fall back off. Horrible.
  • tsims25
    tsims25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone! I weighed myself this morning and was down 4 lbs. Still waiting for 3 more lbs to come off. Ugh
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    tsims25 wrote: »
    Ok thanks everyone! I weighed myself this morning and was down 4 lbs. Still waiting for 3 more lbs to come off. Ugh

It'll come off. Mine usually takes 10 days from the start of the cycle.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    tsims25 wrote: »
    @orphia My salt intake has been low and I work out 5 days a week. Also, no injuries.

Workouts mostly cause your muscles to hold onto water. This is a normal part of the healing/repair/growth/fitness process.

A harder workout can see me gain 1-2 kg. It goes away a couple of days later.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my TOM fluctuations take 10 days to subside.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic that you dropped 4 lb of waterweight overnight. The rest will come off in a day or two. Is this the first time this has ever happened to you at TOM? If you've just started maintenance, since this is the Maintenance Forum, you will probably notice that fluctuations like this are more obvious in maintenance because the water gains aren't masked by ongoing fat loss. It's just part of your bodily processes, just like TOM.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I always retain water in the week leading up to my period. Usually around 4 lbs. Then around day 4 of my cycle, I have to pee constantly...I figure it's my body releasing all the bloat. Then I am usually back to normal.