Surprise: Eat the whole egg already!!

Options
CTcutie
CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition/eating-whole-eggs-builds-more-muscle?utm_content=2018-01-26&utm_campaign=Rundown&utm_source=runnersworld.com&utm_medium=newsletter&smartcode=YN_0004884430_0001653029&sha1hashlower=34bb43a5a0875fe2f574063e8aff36a9fbb7c235&md5hash=acd60ff0b0395b54f6aa0a6f3a4d146e

Interestingly, blood samples from each group found that 60-70 percent of the amino acids were circulating and available for use regardless of which eggs the participants ate. But when the researchers looked at how muscles actually used these amino acids, they found a striking difference: The muscle-building process from whole eggs was 40 percent greater than that from egg whites alone.

“This study suggests that eating protein within its most natural food matrix tends to be more beneficial to our muscles as opposed to getting one’s protein from isolated sources,” lead researcher Nicholas Burd, a University of Illinois professor of kinesiology and community health, said in a press release.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Before generalizing about the whole food thing (as they did), I'd be curious to see them repeat the study with whey and milk or some such.

I will say that I think the idea expressed that there's a bias against whole eggs and in favor of egg whites is really outdated.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The muscle-building process from whole eggs was 40 percent greater

Interesting. Would have appreciated at least a word on total cholesterol.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Interesting. Before generalizing about the whole food thing (as they did), I'd be curious to see them repeat the study with whey and milk or some such.

I will say that I think the idea expressed that there's a bias against whole eggs and in favor of egg whites is really outdated.

Just yesterday I ate 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg. The reason is calories and protein. I think the 5 egg whites is 86 calories. 1 whole egg is that much. So, as a calorie counter with high protein needs that’s ideal for me.

Yes, I understand why some people eat egg whites, but I think the claim that people are frightened of whole eggs and think they are bad for them and that egg whites are always preferable is just false and way outdated. People seem to understand these days that there are nutrients in the egg yolk.

Personally, when I was eating eggs for breakfast (as I did most of the time I was losing weight and much of my maintenance time), I had 2 eggs with vegetables in an omelet. That is lower protein than I wanted for breakfast, so I'd have greek yogurt or cottage cheese on the side or sometimes smoked salmon. I have never been able to bring myself to dump yolks, I'm not a huge fan of whites on their own, and I don't think the carton stuff tastes as good as the eggs I get from a local farm. But I do get that adding extra whites adds protein with few cals.

Sounds like you might want to check into this study more, as it might be aimed toward your interests/concerns.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    As an aside, similar to my suggestion that they should repeat it with milk and whey, why not whole milk greek yogurt vs. low fat? Curious if it's something about the yolk specifically or fat or what.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    mij140 wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just yesterday I ate 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg. The reason is calories and protein. I think the 5 egg whites is 86 calories. 1 whole egg is that much. So, as a calorie counter with high protein needs that’s ideal for me.

That's exactly why I eat mainly egg whites. I usually have 1 whole egg to 3 whites.

This is what I do too
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »

Unless you have a specific condition cholesterol in foods doesn't have any effect on blood cholesterol

The jury is still out on that one.
    https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/03/22/the-effects-of-dietary-cholesterol-on-blood-cholesterol/
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »

Unless you have a specific condition cholesterol in foods doesn't have any effect on blood cholesterol

This. If you're worried about foods that contribute to your cholesterol and LDL, carbs raise it significantly more than protein/fats.

Lab tech/biochemist
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten whole eggs.

Unless I'm making pavlova or meringues, of course. :grin:

I thought the whole 'egg yolks are bad for you' thing went out of fashion about 15 years ago.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I also eat whole eggs with extra whites the add volume. This morning was two whole eggs plus an extra white.