in need of a cardio/strength routine

Options
hey everyone, so i am back to mfp after a while and determined to kick my butt this summer and well i need some help of creating a cardio routine. for machines i have access to a treadmill, elliptical, and a bike. any one have a good routine? also what is a good strength routine. thanks a billion!

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of Tae Bo lately. It burns a lot of calories, and I definitely think I'm getting stronger doing it. It's not exactly strength training per se, but some of it really seems to take a lot of muscle strength. Oh, and it burns a LOT of calories!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I use the machines as a warm up only. I start off doing 20 - 30 minutes on the elliptical or the treadmill (I'm not big on the bike). Then I lift weights 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week. When I do cardio, I take a class or I do some circuit training for 45 minutes or so. My weight lifting routine goes like this:

Day 1 - chest/triceps
    Day 2 - back/biceps
    Day 3 - legs
    Day 4 - chest/shoulders
    Day 5 - bicep/tricep
    Day 6 - legs
    Day 7 - back

And then I'll repeat that or some variation thereof. I try to keep it mixed up. When I lift, I lift heavy - as heavy as I can to build muscle. I also lift for 3 - 5 weeks and then I take a full week off and do only cardio. Then I go back to lifting. I mix it up with a set of light weights, lots of reps. For me, I constantly keep it changed up. I constantly change my cardio circuit. I also box sometimes or spar with someone.
  • LaurenH2010
    Options
    I will be very honest, I dont really know what I am doing so I alternate a lot which I hear is actually very good anyway that way your body doesn't get use to the same workout. So what I just started doing is challanging myself to run for as long as I can, which isn't very long since I just started only about 13 mins, then I walk for two and run for as long as I can stand it again, and then walk for about two again and keep repeating until I complete 45 mins. I have read a lot about interval training which is what I will work myself into after I accomplish my goal of being able to run for an hour straight at about 6mph without stopping to walk. Intervals are a 2:1 ratio and are great for shorter work out periods. On my days that I am not just concentrating on cardio I will do lunges and squates and then choose different programs on the eleptical. I just have fun with it and switch it up so I don't get bored. I hope this helps in some way. And good luck to you.:happy:
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I really like the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred.
  • tamalea
    tamalea Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Definately 30 day shred
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    I like 30 day shred too but If your really looking to kick some butt I'd recommend running a mile or two and then doing the 30 day shred.
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Miss Megooo19, if I was under 200lbs, I'd be able to run a mile or two. Right now this is all I can handle! :) xoxoxo
    PS: Your Mom looks AWESOME .. I am so inspired by her. She is doing fantastic.