Syncing with Fitbit

hi, just after some advice, does anyone else sync with Fitbit , if so what do you set your activity level,to on MFP, I was on lightly active but MFP was also adding on the calories burnt on my Fitbit, so I set it to sedentary, anyone else do this?

Also does any one find the steps the Fitbit syncs over to MFP, the calories burnt is way too high, any advice on how to lower that for a more accurate reading?

Replies

• ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    I'm lightly active, but now that I'm syncing my Fitbit, I've shifted it down to seditary. If I think my loss is too much after a month or so, I'll adjust from there.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, provided you have negative calories enabled. I always had mine set to lightly active even though most prefer sedentary. The total calories will end up the same no matter what.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    I set to very active and chase after my steps till midnight since I start with a big negative adjustment. That and a few challenges prompt me to move instead of veg.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    The Fitbit adjustment takes your set activity level into account. As long as you’ve enabled negative adjustments, it doesn’t really matter what setting you choose; Fitbit will adjust your calories up or down based on your activity relative to that setting.

My actual activity level is usually somewhere between light and moderate, so if I set it to light Fitbit typically gives me more calories, and if I set it to moderate Fitbit would take calories away on some days. The system is designed to work; there’s no need to game it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I average 12-15k steps a day and have my activity level set at active with negative adjustments enabled. If you get more than 7k steps a day - choosing the Sedentary option will mean you will have large adjustments - since you really aren't Sedentary. As others said - it doesn't matter and all evens out at the end of the day but if you are bothered by large adjustments then you may want to go with the lightly active setting you previously had.

And my FitBit is accurate for me - I lost the weight I set out to lose and am currently maintaining by trusting those adjustments. Some people have a bit of a shock when they first see it but many people are more active than they realize...