Les Mills?

Options
I started Body Pump in November and I fell in love with the Les Mills classes.

Does anyone else do any of them? You should add me!

I'm trying to get into the habit of body pump 2-3 days a week, with body attack 1-2 days and CxWorx maybe 1-2 days and sprint once.

What is your schedule?

Replies

• 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I love Les Mills classes, I do BodyPump twice a week, BodyBalance and BodyAttack once a week.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm so excited you found love for Les Mills! I teach BodyCombat and CXWorx. Combat is my #1 love, though :) I tell all of my participants, find something you LOVE and it will only make getting to the gym that much easier! Feel free to connect with me!
  • lazynwild
    lazynwild Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    At least 1 bodypump + 1 bodyattack + 1 bodycombat a week here
    My favorite is body combat <3

• ordinary1111
    ordinary1111 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do bodypump 3x a week — have been slowly adding weight! Looking forward to moving from 50kg to 55kg on squats next week.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I literally sat down and wrote all the classes that I can make last night. Have never been to a group fitness class but I am going to need to muscle up and tone up in the next few years to counter weight loss. Are they suitable for very big people with no fitness?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I literally sat down and wrote all the classes that I can make last night. Have never been to a group fitness class but I am going to need to muscle up and tone up in the next few years to counter weight loss. Are they suitable for very big people with no fitness?

BodyPump I would say not; a lot of the current set involves doing things quite fast so you need to have reasonable form and balance to start with, and it’s easier to get injured if you’re starting with low muscle and high weight. However you can start practicing squats and lunges at home now, and that will help build up what you need!

BodyBalance would be fine, though, and help you build up your core strength, balance and fitness for the harder stuff. As will anything you do, actually; even taking up walking will go a surprising way to improving your cardio.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    @ceiswyn Thanks heaps for the reply. I'm looking to do some bodybalance primarily at the minute, as well as some PT led group classes that incorporate HIIT, yoga and dancing. My aim is to improve strength and cardio at the same time as I HATE purely cardio or strength based programs (tried last year). Hoping to get into some of the other Les Mills programs next year, though =)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a pretty good plan to me, although if you currently have a low fitness level you’re likely to struggle with the HIIT bits. Don’t worry too much if you do; just do what you can, and slowly you’ll be able to do more.

Dancing is great; I’m terrible at it, but I love it. And it has the advantage that there are lots of gentler bits while you learn new steps. Always remember that the ‘best’ exercise is the one you enjoy doing, so you keep doing it :)
  • heidis80
    heidis80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 3 of Les Mills 12 week schedule, I didn't think I would stick to it but I haven't missed a day yet!
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    They're not for everyone (I have friends who hate Less Mills classes with a fiery passion) but I enjoy them them. Currently do Body Pump 3-4x a week and Body Attack 2x (had to cut down on the cardio classes to factor in running twice a week) and I've seen huge improvements to my physique after 4 months of consistent working out. Now, this is in conjunction with calorie counting and logging fairly meticulously, and the same results could probably have been achieved with any other exercise regime. I'm certain that a heavy lifting programme like Stronglifts would take me even further...but the key for me is that I like the classes I do and that keeps me going to the gym consistently.

One thing I would say is that there is a risk of injury from poor form with body pump. My current gym has a couple of really decent body pump instructors who do actually instruct and correct people's form. However in other gyms I have also seen some people with really awful form, who have clearly never been shown how to do certain exercises correctly, and are heading straight for an injury.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love Les Mills classes. My favourite is BodyCombat, but I believe that I get a better workout from BodyStep so going to do BodyStep 4 days and Combat 2 (was doing it the other way around). I don't think you will ever catch me on a treadmill again. LOL.
  • Mkiehne
    Mkiehne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Lea Mills at home - on demand. Absolutely love it! Body pump 2-3x a week, body combat or body attack 2-3x a week. Seeing improvements in the mirror but not on the scale. Would like to see scale go done - suggestions would be great
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like sh’bam! Occasionally I’ll do combat and sometimes we have balance as yoga cover.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    [quote="hungrywombat;c-41896094"
    One thing I would say is that there is a risk of injury from poor form with body pump. My current gym has a couple of really decent body pump instructors who do actually instruct and correct people's form. However in other gyms I have also seen some people with really awful form, who have clearly never been shown how to do certain exercises correctly, and are heading straight for an injury. [/quote]

This is the impression I have of bodypump so have avoided that particular one so far.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking to be Bodypump certified by February (boot camp in January). What do you guys like most about the instructors?
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am a Les Mills Sprint coach. I have never been one for group exercise but I love, love, love the cycle program. Les Mills puts so much into their workouts (choreography, sound engineers, physiology, research) and getting certified is rigorous. It all contributes to such a great, super motivating workout.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I love BodyPump!!

How do you log it on here though? It frustrates me that I can't seem to. I thought about putting the stats in my bio.
  • eikalipse
    eikalipse Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So for bodypump you all have those weights? Can they be done with bands only? Seems like alot of investment in those classes.
  • abcdcm143
    abcdcm143 Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    My gym offers Les Mills. I have only tried the Body Pump class and as others have stated, due to poor form (and no adjustments from the instructors), being new to the strength and using too heavy of weights, I ended up with an injury that kept me out of commission for 3 months. I am very hesitant to try any other classes due to this as I'm not the only one this has happened too. I had a friend get hurt in a HIIT class.

So my question is this: do you recommend any classes that are lower impact and safer to start with? My gym also offers cycling and zumba.