Getting fit at home

Options
joshbowman12
joshbowman12 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi Everyone,
As the title says, I'm trying to get fit from home and work towards accomplishing my goals. The goals I have set for myself are:
-Gain more weight
-Get stronger for every day life activities
-Build lean muscle mass that might be noticeable in a t-shirt and just look more fit

I recently sold an old iPhone on ebay for $100 and ebay is giving me a coupon for $53.00 since it didn't sell at their guaranteed price. So I've been trying to decide whether I should buy Yes4All adjustable dumbbells that go up to 200 lbs (100 lbs per dumbbell) for $199.99 or to buy a used Jungle Gym XT (suspension trainer similar to TRX, but has two anchor points instead of just one) for around $65.00.
The reason why it's hard for me to decide is because I'm not sure which one would fit my goals the best. I've read lately that getting functionally fit is best done through closed chain exercises which are bodyweight exercises for the upper body, and usually weighted for lower body. I just want to have muscles that are actually benefiting me rather than just being there for show.

More about me: I've struggled off and on with tennis elbow in the past due to trying bodybuilding in high school (improper form and training too heavy at the time) and I have also had some rotator cuff issues around that time because of a remodeling job that was heavy on painting. This is where I felt the suspension trainer could benefit me in my goals, but also maybe in prehab so to avoid reinjury. With that also being said, I feel that with the dumbbells I could use lifting straps on my pulling exercises for a little while to take the stress off my grip and elbows. I figured I could focus on training my grip so that way it would strengthen the muscles in the forearm and maybe prehab my elbows as well.

Can someone please offer some guidance on which option would be best for me? Thank you for your time.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have a jungle gym XT and set of dumbells. They both have their place in my routine. I'm not sure I would pick one over the other. I suppose I would get the suspension trainer first and then start saving for dumbbells. A doorway pull up bar is an affordable (about $30) addition to a home gym.

I'm unfamiliar with your injury or limitations. As you mentioned, take the time to learn proper form. Maintain awareness so you don't aggravate your injury. Know when to back down.

Weight gain is about diet, specifically a calorie surplus. Getting stronger happens with a consistent training routine.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells tend to more closely simulate the demands of daily activities.

I'd supplement them with a resistance band kit that's door-mountable (Bodylastics, Black Mountain, etc) to do horizontal movements, and also any rehabbing. The tension is more consistent with bands than TRX, so it's safer for shoulder issues. :+1:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you have a place to properly anchor the TRX, I'd go with that. You can do a lot with bodyweight and a TRX. I'd scope out local facebook swaps, nextdoor, and craigslist for other pieces that you can build a program around.
  • joshbowman12
    joshbowman12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thank you for the responses. I didn't make it clear on what I already have at home equipment wise because I guess I was just trying to focus on bodyweight exercises only (like with the suspension trainer supplemented in) and trying to make it progressively harder as in eventually working towards one handed pushups, pull ups, and squats... a long way down the road though. That's after I've worked my way up from the easiest steps.

I do currently have: bodylastics resistance bands, a pull up bar that mounts in a doorway, and a few dumbbells that go from 15, 20, 25 lbs. If the majority feels like my goals would best be accomplished by focusing on dumbbells rather than bodyweight and the suspension trainer, I would plan on selling the dumbbells I currently have once I bought the adjustable dumbbells that go up to 100lbs per dumbbell.
    Thankfully I do already have some of the equipment mentioned though if that helps or inspires someone to come up with a completely different routine for me.

I had envisioned working out two days per week like Monday and Friday, and on Wednesday I would make it my prehab day of focusing on rotator cuff exercises, and working out my grip.
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you really want to build muscle and get stronger, you will want a rack, a bench, and a 300lb Olympic weight/barbell set.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could buy a pair of dumbbell handles that accept 1 inch plates. Buy the handles new and the plates at goodwill or thrift store. It's harder to find a matched set of handles at thrift stores. It might take a few visits to get all you need, or you might hit the jackpot on one day. Then you still have $ left for TRX.