Crossfit and keto

Options
2»

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Wanna be able to do the explosive movements? Then carbs are your friend. ;)

Try keto, if you can recover, get better and go faster on low carb diet then enjoy it but most of us need carbs to be able to do the wods.

I definitely agree, although I thought low carb and Keto were a big thing in the CrossFit community, since you are in a better position to know, is that true or am I mistaken?

Paleo is the big thing in the community. And the original paleo did not restrict carbs. Just lots of good and healthy foods.

Paleo, zone... RPstrength are kinda popular nutritionist within the community as well and they make you eat alot of carbs.

So, higher carb paleo and not really keto, thanks.

Yup, Zone is actually what's usually Rxed for CF.

Have you tried it? I hated the blocks system

Nope, I did do the Paleo thing for awhile, though. Cleared up my skin.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Try keto, if you can recover, get better and go faster on low carb diet then enjoy it but most of us need carbs to be able to do the wods.

I definitely agree, although I thought low carb and Keto were a big thing in the CrossFit community, since you are in a better position to know, is that true or am I mistaken?

Paleo is the big thing in the community. And the original paleo did not restrict carbs. Just lots of good and healthy foods.

Paleo, zone... RPstrength are kinda popular nutritionist within the community as well and they make you eat alot of carbs.

Note to self, cavemen had great skin... I just do some posts to amuse myself. ;)

Any idea what the reason was? I occasionally have problem skin but never did much research on possible diet links.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Note to self, cavemen had great skin... I just do some posts to amuse myself. ;)

Any idea what the reason was? I occasionally have problem skin but never did much research on possible diet links.

Nope. I always thought my issue was hormonal. I'd been on pretty much every oral and topical Rx and OTC meds and nothing helped except cutting out grains.

That said, I now eat a bag of popcorn pretty much every night, drink lots of whole milk, v and have beans in my chili today LOL
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Nope. I always thought my issue was hormonal. I'd been on pretty much every oral and topical Rx and OTC meds and nothing helped except cutting out grains.

That said, I now eat a bag of popcorn pretty much every night, drink lots of whole milk, v and have beans in my chili today LOL

Can't live without popcorn! :) I haven't been too bad for years so I guess I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing. I love my grains lol.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Can't live without popcorn! :) I haven't been too bad for years so I guess I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing. I love my grains lol.

Proactiv Plus. That stuff is the only substitute skin care I've found for eating Paleo to keep my skin good!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Proactiv Plus. That stuff is the only substitute skin care I've found for eating Paleo to keep my skin good!

Thanks, I'll remember that if I have another flare up, which often happens when I'm in hard training for races like I'm gearing up for now. Plus, I'll remember to choose my parents better next time. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Mhm. Many do 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein. It's not high in carbs but enough for most normal people who do crossfit.

That's actually pretty similar to my natural split. I don't really aim for a split but I'm usually running around that for a week average last time I logged rigorously.

Thanks.

40c/30f/30p is how I have mine set up too (it works for the protein and fat goals I want in grams) and I find that's pretty much where I naturally fall doing IIFYM anyway, so it's effortless in terms of "engineering" my diet.

Every Crossfitter I've known has always pushed Paleo like a religion - have they evolved away from that now?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Mhm. Many do 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein. It's not high in carbs but enough for most normal people who do crossfit.

That's actually pretty similar to my natural split. I don't really aim for a split but I'm usually running around that for a week average last time I logged rigorously.

Thanks.

40c/30f/30p is how I have mine set up too (it works for the protein and fat goals I want in grams) and I find that's pretty much where I naturally fall doing IIFYM anyway, so it's effortless in terms of "engineering" my diet.

Every Crossfitter I've known has always pushed Paleo like a religion - have they evolved away from that now?

Paleo caught fire amongst many CrossFitters, and was heavily pushed. Some may still do so. However the zone diet has been CrossFit's official stance for quite some time and that's what's taught in the L1.

Commenting to the OP question, keto and CrossFit do not mix well at all. The intensity is too high, and your performance won't be very good.